Season 4 - Ep NINE

Lin didn't have her head in the game. The worries of the day were taking a toll on her. The crowd started booing as she was practically handing over the fight. "Why are they booing?" Mitchell was clearly confused. She was still surprised that Lin was a fighter. "Lin Ye is losing. It's never happened before", the guy explained, "don't you know how this works?" "I was actually invited by someone then he ditched me". Mitchell lied easily. The guy laughed, "that's the system. Your friend must have pissed off someone or he was new", he explained, "welcome to the Pound. I'm Lyon". "Scarlett" Mitchell smiled, "how does it work?"

Lin caught her father's eyes in the crowd. She knew the meaning of that look. There were rules that guided the matches. If she was injured or weak for any reason, weapons would be allowed but then the match would be to the death. Normally, all the losers were killed but this kind of match would make the winner a killer.

Lin wiped the blood from her lips and put on her game face. She couldn't be a killer. She gave the opponent an uppercut which made the crowd roar. She didn't let him think as she kicked him in the stomach. Her second leg gave him a smash in the face. The crowd was beyond ecstatic.

"What's happening?" Mitchell noticed the change in the mood. "She's putting on the normal face". Was Lyon's answer as he stretched to see the match clearly. He had explained what the Pound was all about. Mitchell could barely stand. How could this be Lin's life? She thought. She was tempted to deny it but the truth was right in front of her.

Lin gave the man a power slam and she sat on his chest. She delivered punch after punch to his face. She silently apologized to him. She wondered if he was here to make a life for his family. She would have wanted to lose but she had her own mother and brother to think of. She stood up and kicked his temple to knock him out. The bells rang and she emerged victorious.

"That guy could be dead". Mitchell was scared of how lifeless he looked. "He's not dead", Lyon said, "that's why Lin  Ye is a star. She had never killed her opponent. It doesn't matter anyways. He would eventually die. Watch".

Lin walked to the wheel that was placed in the left corner. She took a spin and the arrow landed on an axe. Lin took a deep breath. "Execution! Execution!" The crowd chanted the name of the death sentence. Lin came out of the stage and stood by her father. "Can I go now?" She asked as politely as she could, "I lost a friend today and I have school in the morning". Seo gave her a wicked smile and said, "I'm feeling generous today so stand and watch his death as a gift".

Mitchell walked from Lyon. She wanted to find Lin and get her out of the hellhole. She was troubled by the number of people that filled the place. How could they murder people for a sport? She was disgusted by the mare thought of it. Mitchell wasn't very careful. One of the goons spotted her. Mitchell gasped and turned to run.

Lin was breathing heavily. She had to open her eyes. Seo was watching her like a hawk. He wanted to taint her mind. He wanted her to take over in the future. Lin had balled her hands into fists. Her pupils widened as the axe went into the air. The man was struggling at first but he had accepted his fate. A fate that she had given him.

The axe came down and Lin held her breath. She heard some sounds from behind her and she took a look. It was the perfect distraction to save her innocent mind. Seo also turned around. He was furious. His plan didn't work. Lin noticed that it was her father's thugs. Maybe it was the intruder. Lin thought to herself.

"Go home" Seo ordered with a clenched jaw. Lin didn't hesitate this time. She walked towards the entrance and hoped that the intruder would have a better fate. Mitchell managed to wave goodbye to Lyon before she ran out. She held her knees to catch her breath. She was panting heavily. "There she is!" She heard someone scream from behind her.

She ran past the bushes that she saw earlier to a clearing. She stopped, "you got me", she sighed turning around slowly, " but I'm not sure that's such a good thing". Her eyes were blazing. The goons were spooked. "Scared?" She scoffed, "you should be". She placed her fingers on the floor. The sand changed to yellow then orange then a bright red. "Ow!" One cried out as the lava burned his shoes to his toes. "Hot, right?" She snickered.

Lin was about entering the car when she saw the men running for their lives. She quirked her brows. These were men who enjoyed cutting fingers one after the other to make someone beg them for a quick death. They weren't people to be easily scared. Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw the familiar red curls. Mitchell glared daggers at her. Lin opened her mouth but no words flew out. She closed it and entered the car.

"Really?!" Jo laughed. She and Maggie had been chatting. "It's true. That was my first and last random date". Maggie nodded her head. The two enjoyed a moment of silence. "I still don't understand your powers". Jo broke it. "Oh", Maggie was a bit nervous, "I don't really have a name for it. It has to do with nature. It's like I'm nature's keeper". "So a fairy?" Jo wondered.

"I don't have wings and I'm not tiny".

"I was joking. I know you're not one but if witchcraft or whatever this is exists...then it is possible".

"Maybe, maybe not. No one knows the depth of all the Earth encompasses". Jo gave her a confused look. Maggie shook her head out of the trance and apologized, "sorry. Sometimes, I say things I have no idea about. This is still very new". "Hey", Jo put a comforting hand on her shoulder, "we have time to figure it out. You're great already". Maggie gave her a smile. A maniacal laughter disrupted the tender moment.

"Where did you run off to?!" Tatiana shouted once Mitchell got back. "Why are you here?" She asked confused. Tatiana did a double take. "What do you mean why am I here?" She snapped. "I mean why aren't at work?" Mitchell crossed her arms. Tatiana sighed and relaxed. "I quit". She sat on the chair.

That information was added to the list of things that shocked Mitchell that night. "Why now?" Her tone was free of judgment. "I couldn't do that to you girls", Tatiana looked at her, "I'm your momma and I should make you proud. If my job makes my kids ashamed of me, then it ain't worth it". "We're not ashamed of you", Mitchell sat down too, "we were worried about you. We don't want people to disrespect you or treat you less especially because of money. We love you".  Tatiana hugged her and stroked her hair.

They stayed like that for a few minutes. "What are you gonna do now?" Mitchell asked worriedly. "We'll worry about that tomorrow. Go get some rest dear. You've had a long day". It came back to her. Angie. She was so caught up in Lin that she had forgotten her sorrows.

Just then, her phone chirped. "It's Jo", she told Tatiana. A chill ran down her spin. Tatiana detected that something bad had happened. She had been having a bad feeling all night. "What's wrong?" Tatiana questioned. "She escaped", she said, "the monster escaped".