006. the wizard

VI. THE WIZARD
"i refuse to be known as the wizard"

THE PAIN IS EXCRUCIATING, circulating through her body at an alarming pace

THE PAIN IS EXCRUCIATING, circulating through her body at an alarming pace. The Doctor doesn't seem too concerned about it as the teenage girl's screams bounce off the walls, meaning it's a normal response to the toxins. Isabella cannot help but feel regret seep throughout her, then again that could just be the feeling of the serum running through her veins.

Otto scribbles down a few notes as her screams turn into breathless noises, the pain dying down to just a slight burning sensation. Exhaustion flows and her eyes flutter closed, slumping back on the chair as her body tries its hardest to stay alive.

"Excellent! Your palms are glowing," The wonder in the man's voice.

Lazily, her eyes open again and she looks down to the palms of her hands which are now glowing a golden colour. The colour is also littered over the surface of her arm, almost as if it's making its way down to her hands slowly.

The fascination on the man's face doesn't fade, as if he's somewhat surprised his concoction had actually worked. Now that's concerning — any further effect it has may be unknown for a long time, weeks or maybe even months.

"Absolutely brilliant," Otto praises himself, unstrapping her from the chair so that she can sit up, her body almost numb because of all the pain.

Isabella scratches her arm, the burning sensation still very present but to the point where it's only an annoyance. Her palms, however, well there's no pain there at all. They simply glow in the darkness of the room, power built up and ready to burst out from beneath her skin.

"This is normal?" Isabella croaks softly, looking at the man who has his eyes narrowed at her. "I feel really tired,"

"That's to be expected. Your body is simply getting used to your new abilities. You'll be fine in no time," Otto assures the teenager who nods.

Her phone is beeping excessively to her left, the shattered screen lighting up as new notification come through. Picking it up, Isabella surveys the words and sighs lightly when she sees her mother's phone number on there several times. The brunette had told her that she was going for a walk a few hours back, so she's now worrying.

Clicking on the familiar number, Isabella brings her phone to her ear. Within seconds her mother picks up and begins to speak frantically.

"Mum! I'm fine, I promise. I just found this lake and I'm sitting by it," Isabella assures, the lie slipping from her tongue without much effort. "I must have dozed off for a few minutes, I'm okay. I promise,"

"Please call me next time," Her mum says with a hint of emotion in her tone, almost sorrowful.

The guilt begins to hurt more than the procedure she'd just gone through, knowing that her mum has already lost two family members — she must be worried out of her mind.

"I will. I'll be home soon," Isabella speaks softly before saying her goodbyes and hanging up.

The Doctor makes his way back over to her, a glass of water in his right hand and some sort of machine in the other. She watches warily as he holds the cup out to her before accepting it and quickly swallowing the water. Her eyes don't stray from him as he presses the device to her wrist, almost as if it's measuring something — with this guy it probably is.

"You're radiating quite a large amount of energy," He hums, his expression one of a pleased man. "Which means the serum is taking to you. Now, let's go to the testing station,"

The testing station is a large room with windows along all the walls so that you can see inside, this is so he can watch but be protected from anything she does. The windows are made of some scientifically crafted glass that even the largest of explosions can withstand, he'd bragged about it to her extensively. Nonetheless, the testing station is more for his safety than her's.

Isabella steps inside, tying her hair up with her available hair tie. It's kind of daunting, the way she is locked away whilst he watches. She's struggling to stay upright, feeling incredibly lethargic as she stands there but she manages to keep her footing.

"Alright, Isabella, it is important you listen to everything I tell you to do or this could go bad real quick," Otto explains.

Isabella gestures for him to continue, ready to start this whole experiment to see what will happen.

"Okay, I need you to close your eyes and focus on generating that power you feel,"

The brunette closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, focusing all her attention on the serum within her veins. It already feels as if it's built up but she knows it can become more. She thinks hard, it feels as if she's truly straining her mind at this point. Isabella has never felt this strained, this focused.

"Good. Good. Now, I want you to lift one of your hands," Otto speaks.

Isabella lifts her right hand, and without even opening up her eyes, she can tell the room has lit up. Forcing one open, the girl takes a sharp inhale when she sees the floating mist-like magic in her hand. A deep golden colour with small specks of yellow, it's beautiful.

"Brilliant!" Otto is plain giddy at this point, his serum having worked. "I think this makes you a Wizard,"

Isabella scowls lightly. "I refuse to be known as the Wizard,"

NOTE!

I'm sorry this is so short and boring! The next chapter will be a lot better and more exciting. Thank you for reading!!