epilogue, part two

EPILOGUE PART II
alternate universe

FINALLY MANAGING TO MAKE HIS WAY TO COLLEGE, Peter knows it's going to be hard doing it on his own

FINALLY MANAGING TO MAKE HIS WAY TO COLLEGE, Peter knows it's going to be hard doing it on his own. MJ and Ned are both ahead of him, not only that but they have absolutely no idea who he is – that's probably the hardest part. Hopefully making new friends won't be so hard.

The boy walks into the lecture hall with his laptop, that he had managed to scavenge, and an apprehensive look on his face. It's already quite packed, many of the seats already filled by the students in the class. He takes note of the way most people have ventured to the back, obviously not wanting to sit up near the lecturer.

So that means he will have to.

There's about five available seats, all of which are next to another person. Taking a deep breath, something he has adopted for when he's nervous, the boy sits in the first one. The girl beside him turns her head, almost as if she's surprised somebody had chosen to sit next to her.

"Uh hey," Peter speaks awkwardly, not knowing how else to respond. A timid smile appears on her face as she looks at him, she's just as awkward with her mannerisms as Peter has been.

"Hi," the voice matches her appearance, the tone soft and quiet for her presumably shy nature. "Your first day too?"

"Yeah, you?"

His face reddens when he realises what he'd just said, her 'too' obviously meaning its her's as well. The girl doesn't pick him up on it, nodding her head to his question as if to save him from further embarrassment which he is incredibly grateful for.

"Most people here seem to have their little groups already. I've been sitting here for twenty minutes and nobody has even looked my way," She speaks, eyes looking around the room.

"Yeah, I noticed. Somebody ran into me in the doorway and didn't even stop to apologise" Peter recalls which causes a small bout of laughter to fall from her lips.

Maybe making friends is easier than he thought it would be.

"A lot of people take this as a second year class. I'm doing it as an elective though, to be honest I'm really bad at science," The girl admits with a small frown. "Like, what even is the difference between an ion and an atom? I always thought they were the same,"

"Why did you take a science subject as an elective if you're not good at it?" Peter questions.

"Well, my sister is a scientist of sorts and I thought that if I take this then at least I'll have some help. The other options were like math and advanced stuff that I would be worse at,"