Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Niall had his hands over my eyes so I couldn’t see, leaving me to clumsily fumble over my own feet as he led me up an incline. He chuckled as I tripped over what I assumed was a hole in a clump of grass, but he refused to tell me what I was about to step on. I could be walking off the edge of a cliff for all I know.

I stumbled again, my hands flying up to grip Niall’s hands by my head to regain my balance. “Niall! I can’t see anything! I could die!”

He snickered. “You’re not supposed to see anything, love. Don’t worry we’re almost there.”

He had been saying that for at least fifteen minutes. After the hour long car ride-which I was blindfolded during-he had pulled off on the side of the road and went for about twenty minutes down a dirt path-I could tell because of the rockiness I felt through the tires of the car-before finally stopping. Then he removed my blindfold and covered my eyes with his hands and that’s where we are now.

“Just a bit longer,” Niall said. I could practically feel him jumping up and down behind me.

“You’ve said that probably five times now, Ni.”

“But this time,” he removed his hands from my eyes and placed them on my shoulders. My eyes came into focus just as he spoke again. “We really are here.”

The sight before me was breathtaking. He had set up an entire picnic scene, much like the day he first asked me to promise to marry him one day. It was almost identical actually, the main difference being the lake that was lying behind the checkered blanket and the mountain of food. In the center of the blanket was even a vase of purple flowers. Off to the left of the picnic was a swing set, like we had went to the first time I ever opened up to him and let him in my little bubble of protectiveness I had created around myself. It was like all my favorite memories with him wrapped into one.

Tears brimmed my eyes and my hands covered my mouth as I took it all in.

“Kora? Are you okay? Oh no, I messed something up. Dang it. I was sure-”

I turned and stood on my toes, silencing him with a quick kiss. “You should know by now you can’t mess anything up with me. It’s perfect, Niall. Everything about it. I love it.”

He smiled down at me, his blue eyes lighting up. “Really?”

“Really. This is definitely the perfect alternative to a honeymoon.”

He busted out laughing. “Oh, you thought this was the honeymoon?”

I raised my eyebrows, confusion overtaking my face. “It’s not?”

“I’m apart of the biggest boyband of the moment and you think this is all I did for our late honeymoon?” He chuckled again. “Baby, you don’t know me very well.”

“What’d you do?”

He grabbed my hand and started to pull me toward the picnic. “That’s the surprise for after everything else.”

I narrowed my eyes at my Irish boy, but reluctantly let him drag me over to our meal.

*****

After eating pretty much the amount of food an army would need to supply its soldiers, Niall pulled me to my feet and over to the swings with his guitar in hand. He sat me down on one swing before sitting on the one next to it and strumming his guitar.

“What song are you going to play me this time?” I asked, remembering the day he sang me Truly, Madly, Deeply to ask me to marry him.

He smiled as though he had the same memory playing in his head, but didn’t respond. He just started playing a tune, knowing I would catch on.