26

i start work on monday which means ill be back to my morning/afternoon/night shift rotation 😭 and bc of that updates will be super fkn sloooooow

anyways, enjoy whatever my mind scourged up when i was doped up on pain meds and three energy drinks 🙃

Chapter Twenty-Six:

Easter comes and goes. The cold, sharp weather starts to turn softer, warmer and Harry enjoys seeing beautiful flowers sprout, snow melting across colourful petals. He walks across the courtyard slowly, Hermione by his side. 

((Before Harry returned from the week-long holiday, he had a rather awkward affair with Griphook, his accounting manager. 

"I'm truly sorry, Mr Potter," Griphook frantically looks through scrolls, throwing one after another behind his back, "this has never happened before. Your inheritance results were here just a moment ago." 

Harry stares at Griphook, growing with unease. He had waited for months to get here, for a slot to finally open so he could get an inheritance test done. Gringotts was apparently always busy, bustling with wizards and witches of all ages, coming in every day of every hour to complain about one thing or another.

"The Potter luck strikes again," Harry says, absolutely serious. Griphook doesn't seem to hear him over the sound of scrolls snapping open and shutting all at once. 

Harry doesn't bother raising his voice over all the noise. He simply takes the knife he had been given earlier, slices his palm open and holds it over special Goblin Parchment. At once, it fills with information, his blood forming words and drawing an intricate family tree. 

Harry catches sight of the words 'half-blood,' 'Potter-Black' and 'soul bond,' before the Goblin Parchment, once again, swiftly scrolls itself shut and simply vanishes. The air around Harry turns cold and when he exhales, his breath swirls in front of him. 

In his next breath, the air around him goes back to its warmth. The situation could not be more weirder. After gaining Griphook's attention and coming to an agreement of scheduling another appointment, Harry leaves Gringotts in favour of taking a nice, long and well deserved nap.

Having no information on his legal guardian was future Harry’s problem. Present Harry just wanted to sleep.))

"I can't do it," Hermione says, catching Harry’s attention with her stressed voice. She shoves thick tomes into her side bag, "there's no way I can learn all of this material for the end of year exams." 

Harry smiles, amused. "Mione, you went over the material as soon as you got your Hogwarts letter. What are you even worried about?"

"I'm not worried,'' Hermione sniffs. There's a twitch in her lips before she lowers her voice to ask, "what if I forget everything as soon as I sit down to take the test?"

"Trust me," Harry says, looking at the Ravenclaw fondly, "you won't."

Hermione sighs. It's a short, sharp sound that has Harry laughing quietly. "Enough of that," he says, stepping back into the warmth of the castle. He looks up and down the corridor before he flicks out his wand and casts a simple silencing ward. The magic shimmers around Harry and Hermione before it turns transparent. 

They continue walking in comfortable silence, Hermione breathing softly into her hands to warm them up quickly. There's a small frown etched into her lips when she's done. Harry glances at the girl's hands to find her nails have considerably darkened and turned a weird hue. How odd. They weren't like that before the Easter Holidays. 

"Are you making any progress with your nonverbal magic?" Harry asks, breaking his and Hermione's bubble of quietness. 

"A little," Hermione says, hiding her hands into the pockets of her robes. "I can levitate small objects now," there's a scrunch of her nose, obviously in disappointment, "but larger objects are proving to be trickier."