the best thing

warnings: mild angst and some strong language
description: Nez and Reader have the first big argument of their relationship, resulting in him revealing his true feelings

warnings: mild angst and some strong languagedescription: Nez and Reader have the first big argument of their relationship, resulting in him revealing his true feelings

"Do you want anything to eat or drink before bed?" You walked towards the refrigerator and swung open the door before rummaging through its various contents. The freezing cold air from the fridge sent chills down your arms as it greeted your skin.

"No, I'm fine." Mike's voice was flat as he entered the kitchen behind you. His arms hung at his side and he cleared his throat, standing stoically near the counter.

You furrowed your eyebrows at his brief response but thought nothing more of it. Eventually, you reached for a bottle of water and closed the fridge door, turning your attention toward Mike. The two of you had just returned to your shared pad after a long night of dancing, drinking, and mingling. One of Mike's close friends was throwing a huge celebratory party at his house and Mike urged you to tag along with him despite your wanting to stay in for a quiet night. It didn't take much convincing to get you to do anything for him, though. With just a simple "darlin" coming from his lips, you would've walked to the ends of the earth and back if he asked you to. When you and Mike showed up at the party arm-in-arm, you suddenly felt excited for the night and looked forward to meeting new people. Of course, you saw some familiar faces too.

"Did you see Peter's moves when his favorite song started playing? I didn't think he could actually move like that," you laughed. After you had run into Peter, the two of you stuck fairly close to one another since he was the one person at the party other than Mike that you were closest with. Mike had been off with his friends, in and out of conversations, coming to check up on you every now and then. For the majority of the night, though, you and Peter were laughing and dancing together. A replay of the moment you aforementioned came to your mind again and brought a smile to your face.

Mike remained silent, shooting you a humorless gaze from across the room, immediately letting you know that something was bothering him. On any other occasion, he would have at least chuckled at something that you brought up or added to your memory with something else he found funny. What you were oblivious to was that hearing you speak Peter's name was enough on its own to remind Mike of the events that unfolded earlier in the night. Events that made him clench his jaw and fists in pure jealousy.

"What's wrong? You've been acting standoffish ever since we got home." You neared him, dubiously reaching out to gently put an arm on his shoulder and give it a slight squeeze in a failed attempt to relax him.

Mike shrugged off your hand on him and took two steps away from you. "It's nothing. I'm just not in the mood tonight." His voice had a sharp, impatient edge.

"Not in the mood for what? I was just bringing up something Pete did-"

"Would you stop talking about Peter? This shit is getting old, Y/N." Mike's tone of voice had switched from his usual soft-spoken inflection to a harsher one. Suddenly, he was calling you by your first name — something he rarely did, typically opting for the many endearing pet names he had for you.