safe haven

warnings: detailed mention of anxiety throughout
description: Reader is wide awake and having a panic attack, soon Nez is there to offer his love, gentle reassurance, and comforting warmth — requested

warnings: detailed mention of anxiety throughoutdescription: Reader is wide awake and having a panic attack, soon Nez is there to offer his love, gentle reassurance, and comforting warmth — requested

Two o'clock. That's what time it read when you looked over at the round face alarm clock that sat on the nightstand. It seemed to exist just to annoy you, it's arms pointing toward the numbers like spears that torturously impaled right through the skin.

You took a deep breath, wiping your clammy hands on the fabric of the bedsheets. Seconds ago you felt as if the entire room was spinning, your ears plugging up, your heartbeat increasing with every shallow breath, a wave of tension and nausea overtaking your entire body. Orbs of different colors distorting your vision and senses, overwhelming your mind with a piercing ringing. It was enough to make you feel like breaking down and crying, a powerful feeling beyond your control making you feel completely helpless. It felt as if the world was crumbling around you and crushing you under its heavy weight.

You blink back the tears that are threatening to escape, wanting nothing more than for all of this to end. It was an interruption from your rest and you now knew there was no way you could fall back to sleep. You carefully threw the sheets off of yourself, immediately feeling thankful for the cool temperature of the room that met your skin. In an effort not to wake up your boyfriend Mike who was deep in slumber next to you in bed, you quietly and slowly crept out of the room and headed for the kitchen.

Several months into your relationship, Mike grew to know you like the back of his hand. He knew what your favorite everything was, what made you laugh the most, and how to make your heart swell with love. He also knew how you suffered from the occasional panic attack. The first time it happened, he held your hands in his and rubbed circles with his thumb, trying his best to help with grounding you again. Right now, you thought it too bothersome to wake him up as he slept.

You were in the process of making some tea to try and erase any traces of what had just taken place from your lightheaded, weary mind. You couldn't be bothered remembering the ordeal in vivid detail, yet every time you blink, you're reminded of the state of weakness that reverberated throughout your whole body. It felt like hell. It was hell. The sound of the kettle going off on the stove snapped you out of the trance you were in. You were pouring the water into a mug when you soon heard some approaching shuffling.

"Hey sweetheart." Though sounding distant to you, Mike's soft, familiar voice meeting your ears was like a calming wave amidst the violent sea storm that was your emotions. Your head was still spinning, you felt helplessly disconnected from yourself and what was presently taking place. It almost felt like an out-of-body experience. He emerged slowly from the dark hallway, standing next to you with half-open eyes.

"Hey," you replied quietly, avoiding making eye contact with him. You continued staring down at the steaming water that sat in the mug, eventually turning a darker shade once you dipped the teabag into its translucency.