Chapter 5: Christmas Eve

We are walking out Austins room with his arm around my waist. "Finally you two are up" says his sister Loren. I walk out of Austins hold and I give Loren a hug then going back to his side. He grabs one of my hands intertwine our fingers. "We've been tired the past few days from all the interviews and having to be on social media" Austin says. "Just decided to sleep in a bit" I say giving a slight smile while we head down the stairs.

"There they are!" His mother exclaims. She runs up and gives me a hug and pats Austin on the shoulder. I lean over towards his ear and he bends down a little to get to my level. "Imagine not being the favorite" I say in his ear quietly. He just shakes his head and laughs. "Dakota this is Austins aunt, Julie" says his mother. Apparently she lives in like Australia so she doesn't visit often. "Hi, nice to meet you" I say while I give her a slight smile. "So are you his friend?" Asks his aunt Julie. "Oh-" I start but and cut off by Austin. "She's my girlfriend, It's been 7 years. I guess you would have known if you didnt leave with that prick of a husband" he tells her and walks off to the kitchen. Leaving me with his aunt and mother.

I stand there awkwardly. "So 7 years, huh" his aunt says crossing her arms. I nod politely. "You sure about that?" She questioned. "Yes Julianna, SEVEN years. She's been practically family since then" Karen snaps at Julie. I look down at the ground awkwardly. "Yet still no ring?" Julie asks looking down at my hand. "Oh, well kind of if that makes sense" I say and hold my hand out in front of her. "Promise ring. Got it on our 2 year anniversary" I said smiling. His aunt inspects the ring them letting my hand go. "This old thing? Well you guys should be due for an actual one right?" She says. Right after she said that Austin walked back over placing his arm around my waist. "Soon" Austin says looking down at me with a smile, we then walk away from his aunt and mother.

Brunch was finally ready a little while after we left the conversation. We are the last ones to get a plate so there is no room at the main table between his cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents and parents. With that we went to go sit on the stairs, just like the first christmas we had together.

"Soon?" I asked him when we sat down. He nodded before taking a bit of food. "Can you believe she called this thing old?" I asked him acting offended and placing my hand on my chest. "Sure can. That thing is like 5 years old" he tells me as he stuffs another bite in his mouth. "But its cute, not as cute as a wedding ring would be but its cute" I say laughing. After we go back and forth talking and joking about rings we finish our foods and throw our paper plates away.

We head over to one of the couches and sat down. I sat beside him and on my other side was his mother, Karen. Once we've sat he places his hand on my thigh. I give him a 'really' look. He leans over to my ear "We've been dating for 7 years, I think its fine now. Plus they've watched us kiss" he says quietly. I attempt to pull my phone out of my pocket but am cut of by his mother saying "Alright time for some gifts." I stood up to get the gifts from Austins room.

I come back and sit down, some of them are already passing out the presents. I set the presents in front of Loren, Karen, his grandparents, and one of his younger cousins. "These are from Austin and I" I say while I go back and sit next to my boyfriend. I look over at him and give him a smile but notice he is looking nervous. I dont think anything of it and watch others open presents.

It's finally time for grandparents to open their gifts. "Aww thank you guys" says his grandma. It's a blanked with a family photo on here. She looks around the blanket like she's looking for someone. "Are you on here dear?" She asks "No I decided to use the picture of just you and your family" I say giving a reassuring smile. "Oh Dakota, you should've used the one with you in it. You're basically family now" She says getting up to give me a hug. We hug and I go to sit back down.

Now its his moms turn. She opens hers and pulls out a pair of fuzzy slippers, a candle, and a gift card to T.J Max. "Thank you guys!" She exclaims giving me a hug from beside her and gets up to give Austin a hug.

Shortly after it was Loren's turn. She takes out the perfume, Nike hoodie and matching sweats in a sage green, and a pair of koolaburra UGG boots. "Omg thank you guys so much!" She says giving Austin and I a hug at the same time.

I'm still looking at his sister admiring the gifts when I feel a small box in my lap. I pick up the box and look at it then giving Austin a 'what the hell' look. "Just open it" he tells me with a smile. When he said that all the attention came to us. He better not propose here, he knows I would want my family there too. "Austin we said no gifts, what is this!" I said nervously. "I didnt even get you anything" I tell him lying, and scooting away from him a little in confusion. "You are my gift, Dakota. Everyday I have the best gift" he says to me sweetly. I look at him in awe.

"Just open it!" everyone shouts at the same time.