Chapter 6 | The Search

"So you can see the dead?"
"I knew the two of you wouldn't believe me."
"Since when..?"
"Since I was 6."

In desperation, I finally decided to open up to my friends about what I see. Though, they reacted just as I thought: doubtful.
Zack scoffs, "So tell me something my grandmother would no!!"
"It doesn't work like that..." I say tapping my phone against my head in frustration.
Dahlia sighs, "Then how does it work?"
"I told you, I see things in the 'in between' area. Not so much Earth, but a part of it."
"I think you have Been watching too much of that one movie.. You know.. 'Insidious'." Zack says nonchalantly. I click my tongue sitting up in my chair.
"Look, I'm serious. Please just believe me. You can even look it up.."
Dahlia snaps, "Let's just support him okay! It's unbelievable of course, but he's coming to us with it. We both know that it's rare for him to be so open.. So we as friends need to help with that we can, even if it's a bit far fetched.."
"Thanks Dahlia.. I just don't know where to go.. When I found Y/n's soul wondering-"
"You.. found Y/n." She says softly.
"Right, I forgot you were friends with her.."
"Is she with you..?" Dahlia begins to become choked up at the thought of her friend. It must have been hard to have been so close and all the sudden have her cease to exist. Maybe if I talked to Y/n more in my classes I had, I would have felt the same. If only my fear of getting too close with people didn't block me from a friendship with her. Or maybe even more so if I wasn't a Medium. I sure I'd be bummed out over her passing just like Dahlia was.. Though all I could feel at the moment was her beside me. So maybe that also contributed to not having a bad feeling regarding her death. It's been like this for a week now with her hanging around me. And I can't get enough of it. It's fair to say that I've become a bit too infatuated with even the slightest touch from her. I simply love the boost of joy it gave me just touching her skin and not only because it was warm..
Figures why I felt no sadness over seeing a dead girl.

"She's here. Staring at me. It's like she's still alive.." I say looking deeply into Y/n's sparkly eyes. So sparky it's as if she truly is still alive.
"That's nice to know she isn't suffering.. especially with what she went through with her mom.."
"What do you mean?"
"Her mom committed suicide just when Y/n entered college. It was rough and she copes- she coped with drinking. That's why she was always out partying."
Zack adds, "..Not to be rude, but with the way she lived, if she wasn't murdered she would of died of alcohol poisoning sooner or later."
Dahlia sighs, "Unfortunately I agree. Though, now she's laying to rest and speaking to you. If any I know you two vibe well. And if I'm not mistaken it seems you both had sort of a hallway crush on each other.."
"Hey- hey-" I begin getting flustered, "She can hear you!"
"Really?!" She gasps.
"Yeah. Anyway, I figured you two could help.. Because the thing I can't quite understand is her being warm."
Zack hums,"You mentioned that before about the dead being cold.. You really don't know why she's not?"
"No. Not a clue. Not even the internet could guess.."

We all sat in silence. Everyone was either thinking or just as dumbfounded as I was. The internet was a good idea, but it didn't really give me the information I was wanting.
Dahlia gasps, "Cold means dead.. and we are warm.."
"Right..."
"If she is dead wouldn't she be cold?"
"Yeah that's how-" I paused for a second trying desperately to understand what Dahlia had meant.
"Y/n.. is still alive." She says smiling brightly.
Zack scoffs, "That's ridiculous, they found her body. There's even a funeral in 3 days to bury her. Professionals know the difference between a dead girl and a alive one."
I sighed, "Zack has a point.."
".. Though, there's no other reason I can think of than it having to deal with the living aspect."
"I agree.. Maybe it's just a connection to the living??"
"It has to be something more..We need to get another more knowledgeable Medium.." Dahlia suggests.
"Where?! As far as I know I'm the only medium around for miles."
Zack smirks, "I think I know where to find one.."