Chapter 53

*Let's get 50 votes on this chapter...or more :) PRETTY PLEASE.*

"Emily, is that you? I've missed you!" a daughter of my mother's friend announced as she enveloped me in a tight hug.

"I've missed you too, Jodie," I replied with a smile. Jodie had been attending school in Switzerland for the past year and was currently on vacation back to her hometown in Cincinnati.

"How have you been, Lillia?" she politely asked, although her and Lillia were just a step above strangers. "Oh, I'm sorry. Have we been introduced before?"

"This is our friend, Ashlynn," I informed her. "Ashlynn, this is Jodie."

"Nice to meet you," Ashlynn quirkily chirped. "This is my first cotillion."

"Well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it," Jodie remarked. "I must be going; I have plenty of other people to catch up with, but it was nice to see you."

"The pleasure is mine," I formally dismissed, leading Lillia and Ashlynn towards the table that Brandon, Marietta, Jake, Joey, and Aubrey were currently situated at.

"Emily, what have you been up to?" Ally probed, sipping modestly from her fluke of champagne.

"I've been peachy keen," I responded, not bothering to feign contentment. "And you?"

"Never been better," she answered, shooting me a wicked smile.

"Em, have you eaten yet?" Joey randomly questioned. Upon hearing my answer he spoke, "Neither have I. Let's get something right now."

Knowing that Aubrey wouldn't voluntarily eat dinner, I scooted back my chair and followed Joey towards the buffet line. At first, we were both silent. But then, Joey spoke up.

"I'm sorry," Joey apologized, tilting his head to the side so he could see me. "She thought it would be fun to surprise me with an early visit."

"Is she staying through this weekend?" I asked in a mumble. "For Valentine's Day?"

"That's the plan," he sighed, running his fingers through his neat, styled hair.

"Oh my God," I muttered, halting to a stop.

Joey swiveled to fully face me, consumed in a frown. He was about to speak about Aubrey further, when he noticed my stare near the entrance of the ballroom. He followed my gaze and joined me in my shocked silence.

"Why is she here?" he whispered, turning back to face me.

I shook my head. "I'm not sure. Should I talk to her?"

"Yes," he affirmed, "I'll wait for you right here if you'd like."

My eyes took in every inch of his face before I curled my fingers into his, taking a deep breath. "Will you please come with me?"

"Of course," he smiled, leading me towards the weeping woman.

When we approached her, her wet eyes lit up. She sniffled for a moment before leading Joey and I into the hallway. When we emerged into the silence of the corridor, she threw her weak arms around my slender body, and she sobbed.

After Joey and I had managed to calm her down, she spoke in a hoarse murmur. "I have some news that is better to hear in person." Upon comprehending her words, my heart immediately deflated: that could only mean one thing. "My father has passed away; the cancer got the best of him."

"I am so sorry, Catherine," I whisper, relying on Joey's steady arm around my waist. "Is there anything I can do to help you?"

"Oh please, you've done so much already! I just wanted to thank you for your efforts; I cannot begin to express my gratitude for all of the help your family has provided mine."