Chapter 5

"I think Ana should be invited to the cotillion next Tuesday." I admitted nonchalantly during breakfast. Ana gave me a look, silently pleading for me to shut up. It made me feel guiltier, but I kept at it.

"Are you kidding me?" my mother asked, assuming it had been a joke.

"She's not a little kid? She's almost eleven, and she's never been to one in her life. She can even sit with me instead of-"

"Anastasia, dear, will you get my phone from my bedside table, please?" Ana obeyed and left the room. "There's no way I'm corrupting her. She's not going to a place where she is expected to slow dance and drink wine."

"She's a responsible kid. She'll drink water, and I'll sit with her at the table and talk to her the whole night."

"I know you don't understand this, but I don't want her to live this lifestyle. I don't want her to be like..." she trailed off.

"Be like whom, mom? Me?" I laughed sarcastically. "Trust me, I don't want her to turn out like me, either. But I'm not like this because I go to cotillions, there's more behind-the-scenes than that." I stopped myself before I could engage into another argument similar to the one we had last night. I cleared my throat and started again. "Ana's a good kid, if you tell her not to drink, she'll do just that. Just give her a chance."

Just then, Ana walked into the room with our mom's phone gripped tightly in her hand. It was obvious that she was eavesdropping, but who can blame her? Even if she was standing in my mom's room down the hall the entire time, she would still hear us. We weren't exactly being discreet.

When we made eye contact, I had to dig my nails into my hand in order to not lash out at my mom. Her face was hidden behind a shield of disappointment and hurt. Was my mother blind? How could she not see what she was doing to Ana?

As if on cue, Lillia walked into the dining room, allowing me to use school as an escape.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"When was the last time you hung out with Joey?" Lillia randomly asked on the drive home.

"Tuesday at the cotillion. Remember?"

"No, I mean alone."

"Um..." Now that she mentioned it, I couldn't even remember the last time I was alone with Joey.

"That's my point." I looked up at her with a confused expression. "Hear me out, okay? I hang out with Jake and Joey alone. But you don't hang out with Joey. Is there a reason to it?" When I shook my head, she continued, "Then, as your best friend, I'm demanding that the two of you hangout this weekend."

"Wouldn't that be awkward and weird?"

"We have been best friends since diapers! It will be neither awkward, nor weird! Plus, I've already spoken to him about it."

"What did he say?"

"He shrugged it off and said it wasn't a priority." Ouch. "I mean, no offense or anything."

"Oh, none taken," I sarcastically remarked.

"But seriously, it's driving me and Jake crazy trying to figure you two out."

"Okay, okay! Fine," I said putting my hands up in surrender.

Well, this weekend was about to get interesting.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After school on Friday, Joey came over to try to bake cookies with me.

The first batch was practically liquid, the second was as hard as a rock, and the third batch was burnt to a crisp. But I finally got it right during the fourth batch.

Unfortunately, the kitchen was a huge mess, and we only ended up with twelve cookies.

It was almost six o'clock in the afternoon when we finished cleaning up the kitchen. Joey had just left, when I heard the front door open. I rushed downstairs, eager to see who decided to stop for a visit.

"Emily!" Penelope shouted when she seen me. As soon as I looked at her, I thought about what she said.

"Hey, Pen!" Maybe if we pretended like everything was alright, then we wouldn't have to face the facts.

"Mom, we already talked on the phone about our 'problems'. See?" Penelope told her mom.

Mrs. Ricorda looked at me questioningly. "Yeah, we're all good now," I replied, playing along. At least I satisfied her, reversing the frown that was etched on her face.

"Well, I'm glad to hear that, girls." Mrs. Ricorda beamed. My mom walked in after them, and by her smile, I assume she heard our previous conversation.

"You girls will be sharing Emily's room, and Penelope's mom will take the guest room," my mother announced.

It took everything in me not to shout out in disbelief. At least Penelope and I would be miserable together. She looked at me and smiled through gritted teeth. "Let's go, Em."

I lead her into my bedroom, making sure I kept the door open in case she decided to assault me or something.

"Well, on the bright side, I'm staying over my friend's house tonight and I'll be hanging out with Joey on Saturday. So we only have to put up with each other on Sunday."

She looked a little relieved. "Okay. I can deal with that."

"Emily, your friend is here," my mother called up the stairs.

I rushed down the stairs, with Penelope hot on my heels. I spotted Ashlynn standing awkwardly by the door, my mom and Mrs. Ricorda nowhere to be seen. Really, my mom couldn't have welcomed her into the house?

"Hey, sorry I was helping Penelope settle in. Let me grab my bag from the other room."

When I re-entered the room, I caught the end of Penelope's statement, "But are you her real friend? Or is she using you as another one of her m-"

"Penelope, what do you think you're doing?" I interrupted.

"Oh, just chatting with your friend," she smirked.

I wouldn't be surprised if actual steam was blowing out of my ears. "Really? Of all people, I didn't expect this from you," I spat out.

I noticed that her face was blanketed in some emotion. I couldn't quite identify it, but it was very prominent. I hope that it was somewhere along the lines of guilt or shame.

I glanced over to see a very worried Ashlynn, who I temporarily forgot was standing there. As usual, she wasn't asking questions, but I could feel them coming. I grabbed my bag, three cookies, and Ashlynn's arm, pulling her out the door.

I silently followed Ashlynn to her car. There was no way I was getting out of this one.

Ashlynn drove until she hit a stop sign a few blocks down. She switched the gear into park and looked over at me, saying the one word I have feared the most.

"Explain."

——————————————————-

Thoughts on Penelope? Ashlynn? Joey? Jake? Lilliaaaaa? Her mom?