Chapter 13

I was anxiously fiddling with my fingers as I waited beside Joey at Penelope's house. We had just arrived to the party after our dinner at a Thai food restaurant where we figured out our cover stories, and we were currently waiting for Lillia and Jake's arrival.

"Hey, relax. It's gonna be alright, Em," Joey reassured.

Just then, I spotted Jake and Lillia by the bar. I turned to alert Joey, but he was already flagging them down. They instantly spotted Joey and made their way over to us.

"Explain," Lillia blurted, obviously irritated.

There's my favorite word again.

"Well," I started, clearing my throat. "I ended up hanging out with Penelope and Olivia. I lost track of time and just stayed here with them."

Lillia and Jake looked at each other apprehensively, silently wondering whether they should believe me or not. Apparently they bought my fib, though, because they moved onto Joey. "And you?"

"I ended up waiting, like, two hours to use the bathroom because some drunken ignoramus got sick and passed out. After that, I couldn't find any of you so I hung out with some of the guys until I passed out on the couch," Joey shrugged.

Lillia and Jake's expressions softened visibly as they relaxed. "Oh, okay. We were just really worried," Lillia explained.

"Hey, Em, want to grab a drink with me?" Jake asked. His eyes told me that he wanted to talk, so I peeled myself off the couch and followed him to the bar. When we arrived, he spilled what had been on his mind. "You like me still, right?"

Baffled by his question, I answered, "Of course. Why would you even ask that?"

He continued, totally ignoring my question, "If you really like me, will you do me favor?"

"Um, I guess so."

"Okay," he gulped, shifting his weight. "Do you think you can stay away from Joey?"

To say I was stunned would be an understatement. "W-what? Joey and I are just friends; you know that."

"Please," he begged. "I can't even explain the pain I feel in my chest when you're around him. It's like my chest caves inward and all my thoughts swim around my head. I get so angry, and I don't even understand why. I wish I didn't feel that way, Emily, but I do.

"I'm sorry I know I shouldn't be asking you this, but it would make me feel ten times better. Please, Em? For me?"

I sighed deeply. As flattering as his jealousy was, he shouldn't be able to dictate who I'm friends with.

But at the same time, maybe he was right.

What if the situation was reversed? What if Lillia and Jake were hanging around each other all the time? What if they told each other their deepest secrets? What if they drunkenly made out? Slept in the same bed? Exchanged clothing?

Who was I kidding? If the situation was reversed, I'd be furious and resentful.

Besides, maybe it would be better for Joey and me to stay away from each other. After all, whenever I was around him, I got this weird feeling where I wanted to confide in him. He managed to get me to show him my safe haven and tell him about my minions, which is something Lillia and Jake didn't even know about.

"Fine," I agreed. "I'll do it."

"You will?" He asked in a hopeful voice. His beautiful eyes had hope swirling around them in dizzying circles.