Chapter Two

How it all started according to the Black Widow

She looked at me with a firm look, her full lips forms a subtle smirk looking back at Fury. "I want red out of this, Nicholas."

I gave her a warning look as I hid my fist curled up into a ball. I tried to find the reason on her face but she gave no emotion, just simply looked at me like she never had one.

My mind was going haywire, pulling out the reasons behind her desire. Maybe she just doesn't want to be outshone, she knows I'm one of the best agents out there. Or maybe she just likes working on her own, besides she holds a higher clearance level than any of us in this room if you don't include Fury. But however I beat around the bush, I can only come up with one conclusion and that is because I tried to hit on her and clearly she didn't like that.

Clint glanced at me examining the sudden shift in my movements. He gave me a puzzled look possibly already knowing what was going on in my mind. He pulled his right hand in a thumbs up just enough for me to see as he looks at me with concern.

My breath hitched as I caught her glance soften for a split second, I diverted my attention to Clint and gave him a small reassuring nod. Subtly composed myself before I looked away, avoiding the look she was giving me.

"She's the most skilled agent we have, Y/N." Fury spoke as I went to look up at her for her response. Her eyes never left mine as I swallowed the lump on my throat. Has she told Fury about it? "Everything she knows can help you successfully finish the mission."

Fury's stare landed on me trying to find my reaction, but my mind was still wondering about the woman in front of me. How it amazes me that she's an old friend of Fury yet managing to still look younger than the rest of us, hell the rest of everybody in this facility. This was the second time I saw her, the first time being a few weeks ago at the bar just outside our workplace and those times in between all I could ever think about was those enormously mesmerizing eyes and of course how stupid I am to not know her.

I can never forget the small smile she gave me when I asked for her name, how her thick eyelashes danced as she tries to find a glint of humor in the question. All of it was taken away from me by a man in a black suit clearing his throat to catch her attention, until she got up and slowly uttered, "You'll know soon enough, angel."

My attention snapped back to her when she sauntered towards Fury's forbidden cat sitting on the floor across the room, she sat beside it and gave it slow pets. I couldn't help but look at her soft delicate hands gently touching Goose's fur, suddenly feeling envious of a cat's coat.

"If she's your most valuable agent, why are you sending her there?" My eyes went back to her face trying to disseminate the lie from what she had declared, turns out I shouldn't have bothered.

"You're my most valuable friend, but I'm still sending you out there too." Fury told her, the harsh lines drawn to her face perhaps from all the worrying completely soften. All I wanted was to admire the colors that paint her face, photograph it, and put it in my own museum one day. But I can't brush out the shock I received from hearing what Fury had said.

A valuable friend? All I knew about her was that she's one of Fury's old friends possibly even closer than what he sometimes states. And that she holds a higher clearance than me and Clint and every one of my agent friends besides Fury. But despite having a high rank, this was the first time I met her for work in my years of serving SHIELD. I don't hear anything about her missions, or what she does. Hell, I don't even have any clue on how she can get inside a cryptic and highly dangerous place in one piece.

But she stands there a complete treacherous mystery to me yet all I want is to sit here and look at her for hours. Unfortunately, I can't do that when Fury faced us after her quick embrace with her, Clint and I swiftly stood up ready to take any orders from the both of them.

"I want this done as soon as possible, so we leave now." She doesn't hold a strong authoritative stance like Fury or any of our superiors. Her voice was firm but I can't help but notice the gentleness behind it almost giving me the impression that it was a plea.

"Meet me at the helipad in fifteen minutes." She said before quickly turning her back to us and exiting the room.

Fury looked at us the worry lines in his eyes becoming more prominent, "No matter what happened don't let her do anything besides to go inside that room and get what she needs."

I stole a swift glance at Clint having the same reaction as me to what Fury had said, possibly more shocked to hold such concern on a mission, "Don't make her try to kill someone, not you or an enemy. That's your job, not her's,"

"Why?" Clint asked as Fury grabbed something from behind his desk.

"Because if she did no one is getting out there alive but her." With a stern look, Fury gave us three sets of earpieces, Clint and I took it setting it on ears. The one left for her stayed on my hands as I held on to it and kept it for the time being.

"You only listen to me, Pierce or any of those privileged agents does not give a shit," He said leading us outside, Clint and I were already on our suits and packed to go so we sped to the helipad.

"You're leaving us in the dark here, Fury," Clint said adjusting the straps that hold his arrows. The elevator opened and we stepped inside of it, I caught a hesitant frown from Fury.

"Well, worry about it some other time."

The elevator stops at the top of the facility where the helipad is, we step outside of it as Fury said his last orders. "Remember don't make her even try to kill anyone, and if things go south trust no one."

I took a deep breath suddenly feeling more uneasy about this mission, Clint's hand clapped my shoulders to give a reassuring gesture for everybody as the door of the elevator close depriving us of the one person that knows everything on how to handle this mystery.

"Why are you nervous?" Clint asked me with a puzzled look on his face. My eyes slightly widened at his bluntness during a serious moment. I just shrugged my shoulders looking away to divert the topic.

We both walked to the parked Quinjet in front of us and pushed the button that opens the door, Clint abruptly stopped and looked at me. "No something's wrong."

I rolled my eyes, "Worry about it some other time, Clint."

From the distance, I can hear the soft opening of the elevator presenting Fury besides Y/N on a SHIELD's black suit. Clint and I turned our attention to both of them as my breathing hitched.

"Jesus, no," Clint muttered under his breath. I looked at him with worry and panic. His watch bounced back to Fury and Y/N sharing a small hug to me with his eyes widened almost like it's going to fall out of his skull soon. "She's the girl from the bar."

"She's the girl from the bar." I sighed in defeat confirming his allegations.