Chapter Three

It's gonna be a bumpy ride

A tear fell down my cheeks as I shut the door of my office. I clutched down at the drawer nearest me while trying to control my breathing.

For years I tried to control it, knowing the inevitably of using it necessary. And not one attempt able me to have power on it, for god's sake I don't even understand it. All I know is a massive energy exploded in me when I tried to protect myself years ago and that killed hundreds of people including my own.

A soft knock interrupted me as I slowly collected myself, "Y/N," A familiar voice said, I opened the door to see Fury holding a black suit. A frown appeared on my face soon followed by small sobs.

"I don't think, I can do it." I cried, he swiftly embrace me into a hug. My head landed on his shoulder, as his arms secured their place around my back. His hands slowly patting it, reminding me of the first time he did that.

"We're here to help you," He said trying to sound gentle but I knew deep inside he was also scared for his life. The familiar badge on his suit displayed that this was all a mission and either I was going to be put behind bars or put under as a science experiment, again. But his comforting embrace proved me otherwise, he was sincerely just there to help and that has been what he has been doing after all these years.

"Sike, of course, I can." I let go of the hug and forced a smile accepting that I have to do this for my friend. I know that if he had other options he would go through it rather than this one.

"I promise to help, in every single step. I promised before and kept it, I'm not planning on breaking that any time soon." He said looking at me directly in the eyes, his hands rested on my shoulders as I nodded too many times.

I smiled, before walking away to change into the suit he prepared for me, my mind was going in circles. Worrying about the dangers this mission and I bring, and how I can't forget the redhead waiting for me. Besides the obvious panic I had for this task, I can't help but remember the night she had asked for my name.

I had always thought that she was beautiful, often times I caught myself thinking about her too much when Fury would tell me about his work and the avengers initiative. But that night at the bar, she was astonishing. She was still in her work clothes, black jeans, a white shirt, and a black leather jacket. Her eyes a soft green subtly indicating the tiredness it holds, still, I cannot help but get enchanted by it. I had never heard her voice by then, let alone imagine it.

So, when I heard her ask for my name it both shocked me to my core. Why would the famous black widow ask for my name? And how is her voice so incredibly soft, warm, and captivating but sexy at the same time? My inclination to wake up next to her and hear her voice first thing in the morning grew significantly when I heard her talk earlier. And I just want to scream at myself for feeling like that when I responded to her like a complete idiot. Thinking Fury sent her to, I don't know, fetch me or something.

The complete idiot in me called her an angel, which is true she is. But damn, how am I supposed to work with her professionally when I tried to hit on her? She was just asking my name, and now I might have to complete this mission with a mad redhead.

Fury and I sped to the helipad, he gave me a quick hug before I stepped out of the elevator jogging to the two agents inside the quinjet. They were waiting for me as I caught the redhead's cheeks tint slightly like her hair. Clint told her something, that made her blush. My speed slowed down as I got near them just like their voices, completely telling me that they don't intend to let me hear what they were discussing. Maybe there's something going on between the two? Fury told me they were close, this is probably why red won't stop glaring at me. Obviously hating the fact that I tried to hit on her.

Both of them got to work with Clint sitting at the pilot seat. The redhead turned to me as I settled at the seat just behind the control panel. "Here's your earpiece," She said with a firm voice extending her arm to reveal an earpiece nesting on her hands. I took it and gently smile still feeling guilty about not wanting her to be in this mission and of course hitting on her.

"Thank you, Agent Romanoff," I said with a soft smile trying to shrug off the harsh face she was giving me. What is she so pissed off about?

"You can call me, Natasha- or angel if that's still what you prefer," She said lowly mumbling the last part only for us to hear. I felt my cheeks lit up with heat as I tried to keep a straight face.

"I'm sorry about that," I said putting on the earpiece, occupying myself with movements for her to not notice my uneasiness. Clearing my throat I added, "And uh, earlier I meant no offense,"

She raised one of her eyebrows as her lips formed a smirk "None taken," With that, she moved towards one of the pilot seats and sat beside Clint. Finally allowing me to take a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

My mind can't think straight, it has been ever since Fury called me to his office earlier today for this mission. But right now, I don't think it's going to function well after what she had said. I'm blaming my own for locking myself in the lab for years and not learning any social clues because I don't have any idea of whether she was flirting or being sarcastic. Truly looks can be deceiving and what she's been giving me isn't helping.

"Agent Y/L/N," Natasha snapped me back to reality.