Black Widow

This tale is told as a series of moments on a single timeline, like a light flashing briefly but getting more intense as time goes on. A twisted definition of a vignette, if you will.

"Hey, mom, where's dad?"

"He doesn't matter anymore. Just leave him be."

"Hey mom, it's cold outside. Don't forget your scarf!" he said as he took the red one out of the closet and handed it to her. He knew it was her favorite.

"Thank you, dear," she responded. As he helped her wrap it around her neck, she smiled softly. "I'll be home soon. I love you."

"I love you too!" he grinned back at her, watching her walk away.

"Hey mom, are you ok? I haven't seen you for days." His worried voice echoed from the answering machine.

A tear fell to the floor as she responded to his message. "I'm alright, dear. Just have some things I need to take care of. I'll be back in a few days." I'm so sorry. She thought as she crumpled to the floor.

The door creaked as she walked in. The moon shining through the window illuminated her glossy black hair. "Mom!" He said as he ran down the stairs. "I missed you so much!"

She enveloped him in a hug. "I missed you too."

"Where were you? I was so worried!" His voice trembled.

"I just had things to take care of. Everything's fine now." She said as she patted his hair.

"Hey mom? Can I go visit Dad tomorrow? I haven't seen him for a long time."

"Focus on your homework. I'll call him later and see if he has time."

"Dear, I'm sorry. Your dad is busy. He can't make it to your birthday party tomorrow."

"Oh. Ok." He fell silent.

"I'm so sorry." She tried to comfort him.

"It's ok. At least I still have you." He faked a smile.

"You're crazy!" he said, pointing a shaking finger at her.

"No, little one," she responded with a smile. "I'm your mother."

"Why did you do that? You loved him!" He screamed at her in disbelief.

"Because of you. You're mine. He was getting between us. You will be only mine." She whispered softly. "You are the only one I love. He is nothing now. He will never exist again."

"That day, I should've known. I gave you your red scarf. I helped wrap your hair to protect it from the snow. But you're just a spider, watching as your prey struggles in your web! You control us like puppets! And you call yourself my mom..." He trailed off, crying silently.

"Dear, I did it to protect you. He was going to take you away from me. There was nothing else I could do." She murmured as she came closer.

"Don't touch me!" He roared. "You're a black widow, complete with your own red mark. You're not my family. You're not my mom. My mom isn't a monster. She'd never do this..."