Sequel: Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The aftermath of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, where everything comes full circle.

As the jack o' lantern flew towards Ichabod, he screamed in terror. And then- there was darkness. Was this... death? Ichabod sensed a gentle light shining from above. Heaven? Suddenly, chains cut through his vision, wrapping around his arms and legs, trapping him in the dark. What is this? He thought, frightened.

Suddenly, a voice echoed in his head. I'm sorry, but this is the only way.

Out of the dark, he felt a jolt of pain strike his body. WHO ARE YOU? He yelled frantically. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME?

I go by many names, but I think you know me as the Headless Horseman. The voice replied calmly. I sincerely apologize. There is not much I can do now. My time is up. Farewell. The words echoed in Ichabod's mind as he saw a fading spark fly towards the light above.

WAIT, WHAT DO YOU MEAN? COME BACK! WE'RE NOT FINISHED! GET BACK HERE YOU-

Ichabod screamed as his soul began to morph into a strange new shape. His sanity started to unravel as his mind cracked like glass. In an attempt to piece together the last remnants of himself, he tried to figure out what was happening. As he thought of what happened to the Horseman, the reality of the situation struck him. He was becoming the Headless Horseman. He will be stuck like this. Unless... With the last shreds of his sanity, he hardened his resolve. His mind became consumed with a single intent: to kill someone and get out of this accursed body. He took hold of the jack o' lantern on the ground, mounted his steed, and began the hunt.

Explanation: In the prequel, Kathal, the original Headless Horseman, seeks revenge on the boys. His spirit wouldn't rest until he's sure they were dead. In the original story, Ichabod is chased by the current Headless Horseman and is hit by the jack o' lantern. In the sequel, Ichabod is sucked into the role of Headless Horseman as the now-former Headless Horseman ascends after successfully forcing Ichabod to replace him. One can assume this is the way everything progressed throughout the centuries, this cycle of vengeance and hatred. Each generation of Headless Horsemen is replaced by the next. If they fail in killing someone to take their place before their soul fades in time, they are stuck as a ghost on this plane while a vacuum of power remains, throwing the world off balance.

Sorry it took me a while to get this out. It was very fun for me to write, and have a few ideas planned for the next few stories. See y'all next time!