Eternal Darkness

Rin and Ari's story continued in an alternate universe, where something traumatic has happened....

 I watched as she shattered like glass before me. She broke down, crying tears of sorrow. "I will never see again," she sobbed. "Do you know how much I've thought about this day? How much I knew this day would come, yet never truly prepared for the day my world goes dark?"

I patted her back, hugging her. "You'll be fine. You'll be ok. I'm here, always was and always will be. Just trust me, ok?" I whispered in her ear as she cried. "Shh, shh, I'm here. I'm here. No one will hurt you." We sat there for a few minutes, me holding her as she sniffled.

"R-Rin?" she stuttered. "C-can you describe to me what you see? Be my eyes for me?"

"I see you and I here in the hospital. Walls, sheets, bed, door, everything white. Blank and empty with no color, no life."

"N-no life? I think that's how I feel right now," she said with a blank-eyed smile. "After all, my life is now on pause."

"No, not like that. Your life is still continuing. You may feel blank and empty, but I will be the color you need in your life. Now listen, there's a cat on the tree outside the window. Remember the curtains you said looked like ghosts moving in the breeze? There's a tree on the other side of those curtains. Soft pink cherry blossoms are blooming on the branch. A little ginger kitten is sitting there, watching us. Can you hear it meow?"

She perked up as the kitten mewed through the open window. Giggling, she responded, "Yes, Rin. I can hear the cute adorable kitten."

"Feel the breeze bringing in a few stray petals. Here, one's coming towards us." I smiled as she caressed the dainty petal. "The kitten came in. Do you hear its claws clicking on the tiles? See? There is still life and hope. Your world may have gone dark, but I will gladly be your light. You're safe. I'll guide you through this, and we'll stand tall like a wall and its foundation."