𝐂 𝐇 𝐀 𝐏 𝐓 𝐄 𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎

"Miss?" I blinked my eyes until they had adjusted and inched my gaze towards the flight attendant standing in front of me with a cart filled with beverages and crackers

"Miss?" I blinked my eyes until they had adjusted and inched my gaze towards the flight attendant standing in front of me with a cart filled with beverages and crackers. "Would you like something to drink?"

Her eyes were kind and soft, the complete opposite of my mother's.

"Yes." I scanned the cart briefly. "Do you have any wine?" I didn't see any on the cart but perhaps they had kept the alcoholic beverages in the back away from the children's peering eyes.

Her eyes pinched together in confusion and she scanned me up and down. "Don't you think you're a tad bit too young to be drinking?"

Again, she didn't sound judgmental but rather concerned for my well being.

It didn't feel overwhelming but rather different given the circumstances over the last three years.

I couldn't remember the last time someone had been concerned for me or cared for me. "Old habits die hard." She didn't laugh or seem to find my words the slightest bit funny.

So serious. I rolled my eyes, I had taken care of myself just fine in the last three years. I didn't need the pityness her eyes held. It made my stomach clenched with uneasiness.

I unzipped my purse and searched through it.

After a few minutes of searching I flipped the purse over on the empty seat next to me and dumped out all the contents and shook my purse until the fake id I had used for emergencies fell on the seat.

I picked up the faded old id and handed it to her.

With eyes squinted she scanned the id. "You're 23?"

"Just turned last month." I had inherited a lot of features from my mother. Those being the softness of my facial features and the roundness of my face.

The shape of my face had gotten a lot of people confused with my age even if I had an id saying otherwise.

With tight lips she handed me back the fake id. "At the moment all we have available is pinot noir." I didn't know what kind of wine it was but it had a fancy name.

So it must have been good. Most wines with fancy names were delicious and anything at the moment would work until we reached california.

"That will work." She walked away swiftly without sparing another word and about ten minutes later a different flight attendant walked over with a dark large bottle.

"Anything else for you, miss?" She set down a clear wine glass and popped the cork off the bottle with a corkscrew.

She waited until the fizzing stopped and filled the glass full. I reached for the glass and took a small sip and tasted the most, ripest cherries that had ever filled my taste buds.

The sweet bitter taste lingered on my tongue and I let out a small moan from how delicious it was.

"Good?" She smiled at my reaction, seeming pleased.