The Final Drop

[No Man's Land - Day 99.2]

Reese grimaced upon entering the old factory, a pungent acid smell came from the gurgling tanks. Not long ago, Jeremiah had taken over ACE Chemicals, explaining that he needed this place to continue his plans against Bruce. To do his little experiments. It was unclear what he planned to do specifically with the green concoction, but she knew he probably had something in mind already - the chemicals could be used for anything. He had gotten help from an old 'friend', Jervis Tetch, to hypnotize people and basically force them into labor.

"You're freaking alive!"

A bright dimpled smile stretched across her countenance at the sound of Kai's voice. She didn't have to look to know he was annoyed. "Hello to you, too."

He rolled his dark eyes in discontent at the young woman who was adamant about roaming the streets of Gotham carelessly. "I was preparing myself to go out there and fight any crook with my bare hands and teeth if I had to."

Her grin broadened as they finally connected their gazes. Warmth spread across her chest, overwhelmed from knowing her friend was awaiting her return - It was nice. She climbed the metal staircase. "Such a sentimentalist."

The man cocked his head with a smirk. "Must I remind you, Little Miss Badass, that I was appointed - against my will, might I add - to be your personal bodyguard by you."

"To save your life." She pointed out whilst moving to stand face to face with him, sending him a fleeting teasing wink. A hand gently pat him over the shoulder. "I think you've thoroughly enjoyed being my bodyguard."

Kai paused briefly, squinting confusedly, before smacking his lips. "No, actually, not really."

Reese laughed brightly. "I missed your handsome face, you."

He grinned cheekily at whom he considered a friend. "Mmm, I can only imagine how hard it must've been for you not to see me."

"Nobody like you, Mister Kai." She jested, provoking him to chuckle.

The friends leaned against the steadier side of the railing, overlooking the strange production taking place below them. At the group of people acting like zombies, moving in repetition, collecting carts, or pouring chemicals into smaller containers.

Everything seemed surreal. Nothing made sense anymore - how did she even get here? She's in a freaking chemical factory with her murderous boyfriend, who has plans involving Bruce Wayne. Her brother is a criminal. Her friends are all psychos. She's nearly died like a million times. Her life has become this giant blur of incoherent and abnormal events, turbulent waters. From an external perspective, she couldn't identify a prominent moment in her life when she had a typical day. It scared her to a degree that there'd be no exit sign, a haven, waiting when she was done. Fear has always been the endless emotion that has driven her life.

"What happened here?" Kai brought up, pointing at the palms of her hands - He had noticed they were wounded and raw. They had been scratched after Magpie had caused her to fall on the gravel. "You tried hand skiing or somethin'? I heard it was in season."

"Funny." Reese rolled her eyes with a snicker, "But no. I ran into a little trouble."

"Evelyn... again?"

"Nope." A head shake was given. "Wanna hear about my day?"

He raised his voice to produce an overly excited tone, "Oh my God! Definitely." A swift smack caused him to begin giggling, but he rubbed the center of his chest in slight pain. "Go on, then. Tell your story."

"Thank you!" She responded dramatically and told him about her day, starting from the moment she was on the rooftop getting air. She didn't tell him about seeing Jerome because that was personal, but she mentioned the necklace and how Magpie stole it. That she had hunted the girl nearly all day and that she was not the old one who was searching for her. "And there was Oswald Cobblepot... and Selina Kyle."