Chapter Eighteen

Hi everybody! Sorry for the longggg delay. Motivation to write has been an issue lately but here we are (finally lol). Happy New Year!

___________________________________________________

She was awake as the first rays of sunlight broke through the crack in the curtains. Though her sleep had been deep and restful, it hadn't lasted long. She couldn't escape the thoughts that were weaving themselves throughout her psyche, invading every moment of peace with a tremor of worry. She didn't know what the day would bring, let alone the week. It seemed her life had been reduced to mere moments; the idea of a future was so abstract nowadays that her mind found it hard to grasp. How could she picture a tomorrow when she barely knew how to make it through today?

Trying to push away the reminder that the Elders were still on pack grounds, she rolled back into the warmth of Elijah's body on the bed next to her. The evenness of his breathing brought her comfort, her port amidst this whole fucked up storm. He was one thing she knew for sure she could count on; she knew he had her back – that he was by her side – as unmoveable as the mountain upon which they stood.

She slid out of bed as slowly and discreetly as she could manage, in an effort to leave her peaceful Alpha asleep, but it was easier said than done. As her toes touched down upon the hardwood floor she heard Eli's unmistakeable groan, the Alpha male was awake. Ignoring his mutters of protest she made her way into the bathroom, brushing her teeth and letting her hair down from the rat's nest atop her head.

The giddiness from the night before had faded, reality was sinking in once more. She knew as soon as they left the sanctum that was her bedroom, she'd be faced with the Elders yet again. Though she had slept as well as could be expected beside the comfort of her mate, her eyes looked tired, apprehensive and wary. The life of an alpha female was by no means a glamorous one.

Shaking off the sleep she made her way into the bedroom, only to be met with the sight of Elijah's shirtless figure, the smooth panes of his stomach catching the sunlight through the window. Eden had never seen a marble statue up close, but as her jaw swung unhinged from her mouth, she figured this was the next best thing. She didn't even register the chuckle that resonated throughout the room, snapping out of it only as his fingers brushed the underside of her chin,

"You'll catch flies, E," Hearing his words, she felt as her cheeks warmed, sure that a red stain was beginning to form as she blushed. "Don't be embarrassed," he murmured as the fingers that were under her chin moved to gently brush her cheek, "you can stare all you want, I'm all yours."

Placing a light peck on the crown of her head he put her out of her misery as he strode into the bathroom. Soon hidden behind the closed door. Eden let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding and made her way out of the bedroom and down into the kitchen. She felt guilty about how much time she had spent away from her pack recently, and felt the need to get started on breakfast, a simple olive branch and a way of caring for them, no matter how small.

Only, as her sock covered feet made their way down the hardwood steps her nose caught the smell of bacon and eggs, and the sizzling coming from the stove was unmistakeable. Rounding the corner, she came faced with Jonathan's back as he flipped something on the stove, sniffing the air she identified it, pancakes.

"Good morning, Jon." Her lips lifted into a slight smile as her eyes locked with those of her Beta. "Thank you for making breakfast, you beat me too it."

There was a calmness to him as he made his way effortlessly around the kitchen,

"Don't worry about it Alpha, you've had a lot on your plate and besides, I actually really enjoy cooking. It gives my hands something to do and keeps my mind off things."