Chapter Eleven

Later that day Elijah took her and the pack on a tour of the grounds. He spoke with pride about the vast grounds and impressive buildings and it made Eden's heart soar at the love he so clearly held for his people. It was inspiring being around him, it made her want to learn the ropes of being an Alpha so she could lead her pack with as much gusto as he did.

"And finally, here's the training grounds." He gestured his arm out in dramatic fashion. It was a sea of bodies, the smell of sweat and blood were thick in the air as fists and fur alike collided. An impressive display of strength and endurance, Eden could feel the awe of her pack, her parents had never been so committed to the ideas of training and fighting, they were more focused on creating a peaceful and harmonious atmosphere. Eden had never agreed with her parent's ideals, it made them open and vulnerable to attack, the weak pack that couldn't defend themselves against potential attack. It was why Eden herself had posed such a threat to her own members, if she had lost control, they would have been helpless against her, just as they had been against the rogue attack that had in essence wiped them out.

She needed to confirm with Elijah, but she wanted her pack to be out there with his warriors, learning how to fight and defend themselves. She knew they had a lot to learn not just from the prominent Alpha but also from his pack members. It was clear he ran a well-oiled machine and Eden could only hope that her people could find a way to integrate themselves into the fabric of their community and find themselves a new home.

"If it's alright with Alpha Eden, I think you guys should take off on your own for a bit, meet some pack members and find what you like." Elijah looked over at her for confirmation.

"That sounds like a great idea, I want you all to feel comfortable here, this is our home for the time being, make some friends." They all nodded and slowly dispersed, reluctant but loyal to their young, fierce Alpha.

"I think we should discuss some more."

She turned to Elijah, "Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing."

He led her back to his office, sitting behind his desk in his large imposing chair. It felt like a business meeting, and Eden didn't know how to behave or act. Still, she did her best to put her Alpha face back on, even though she knew he could see right through her. He didn't comment on her display of false bravado, instead acting as if she was just as confident as she pretended to be.

"I'm going to cut to the chase here, I want you to stay – and before you say anything I know that I'm being selfish and I know that asking you to give up your position as Alpha to become my Luna is presumptuous and fast, but I know how I feel about you and it's only been a day, I don't know if I'll be able to let you go after being around you for much longer."

Her heart began to swell, her confident demeanor was met by his puppy dog eyes, the harsh and northern Alpha made vulnerable at the simple thought of her departure.

"Okay."

"Look I know – Wait, did you say okay?"

"Yeah, I'll stay."

"I feel like this is some sort of joke, you'd give up the Alpha position for me?"

"The Alpha position hasn't been mine since the day Mason was born, I made peace with that fact a long time ago, and despite trying my best these past few days, I know I'm not what my people need. They need reassurance and confidence, that's something I just can't give them. How can I ask them to believe in me when I don't even believe in myself?"

He shook his head, "it would just take some adjusting, you're a natural I swear."

"Even so, it's not for me, just as I know the Luna position isn't for me either, but if you want me to stand beside you and support you I will, and if you want me to help you and share in the burden of leading a pack, I will, and I promise I'll try my best."