05: Passing

1972

1972

Two more years went by and she was still half-vampire. It was the longest any of them have gone without doing their first kill, but each day was getting harder and harder.

Ophelia was always in constant pain.  She would always take a hit or smoke a whole joint from Paul for it to go away.  There were times on the Boardwalk where he or the others had to pull away before she dug her fangs into someone on the boardwalk.

"Screw you, David!"  Ophelia growled shoving her arm away from him as he grabbed it.

"You need to make your first kill.  I'm getting tired of keeping you on a leash".  David followed after her, his hands forming into fists.

Ophelia let out a short laugh as she kept on walking.  "You would like that, huh?  Is that a kink of yours?"

"Ophelia I swear I'm going to-"

"You know David. It's been two years. I'm not buying any-"

"I'm trying to help you".  David shouted.

Ophelia looked at him as he stared back at her. This time his expression was different. He wasn't looking at her with annoyance. He looked worried.

Ophelia took in a deep breath before looking down and playing with her nails. "I don't know. Maybe you're right". She said quietly.

"Right about what?"

"I'm not going to survive as a vampire". She looked up at him and David's whole body language fell.

She wasn't supposed to hear it, but she did. In the beginning, David went off to the boys. Telling them how Max was getting on his nerves and how he should be the head vampire. Then he told them out of everyone, Ophelia is someone that would not make it as a vampire. When she turns, it's only a matter of time before she dies.

David sighed and shook his head.  "I Uh-you-you-"

"I think this is the first time I have you lost for words", Ophelia's lip curved into a quick smile but that smile faded just as quickly. Her eyes flashed back and forth from the wall to the ground as if she was trying to figure something out. Her mouth opened and closed, then opened again, before closing one more time.

"Ophelia just say it". David told her. He wasn't harsh. Irritated? Yes.

"I should go".

"What?" All four of the boys asked.

"I've been here for two years. I'm not like you. Any of you". Her eyes glanced at each of them.

"Yes, you are". Marko denied what she was saying and she only shook her head at him, making his face drop with sadness. Over all these years, he considered her a little sister. They all saw her as a sister, but it was obvious Marko was closer to her out of the rest.

"I'm not. I can't kill even though I want to because it hurts so damn bad. Hell, I can't even remember my past. The only thing I have in common is that I like smoking weed like Paul". She waved her hand in his direction for a moment.

"Yeah". Paul nodded his head smiling but instantly stopped when Dwayne nudged him, telling him it wasn't the time.

"You just need more time that's all. You're not leaving".

Out of everyone, Ophelia was not expecting that to come out of David. David would never admit it, but he warmed up to Ophelia. No matter how much he tried to push that feeling down of caring for her, it did not go away. He would absolutely never admit, even in his dying breath that she was someone that their family needed.

Ophelia let out a dry laugh as she looked at David. "Come on David, you wanted me gone since day one. What changed?" She asked him seriously.

"I just got used to you that's all". David walked by her, patting her shoulder on his way out of the cave.

And that to Ophelia was David's words of telling her he liked her.

~~~

Then...

"Where are we going?" Ophelia asked as she and Antonio stuck their thumbs out towards the road, trying to get a ride.

"I have some...friends in Santa Carla. Few Hours out". Antonio said as a hippie van pulled over for them, the door opening.

"Hop in fellow travelers". A guy said. moving to the side as Ophelia got in first.

"What are you two doing traveling his road so late?" The driver asked as he started to drive again.

"Well I wanted to leave earlier, but this guy over here is only available at night". Ophelia shrugged. Antonio had no expression as he leaned back as a joint was being passed around.

Once they got close enough to their destination they got out of the van. Ophelia threw a peace sign before Antonio put his arm around her shoulders, the two walking the rest of the way. Ophelia felt weird as Antonio led her to some house out in the middle of nowhere. Antonio took his arm from her before knocking on the door. When it was opened it exposed a woman around the same age as them.

"Antonio...and you must be Ophelia". The woman smiled strangely before her eyes looked back to Antonio. "Guess the party can finally start".

"Wait. You've dated him for two years and we're just meeting you? What's with that Antonio?" The boy she learned as Charles asked, holding a beer in his hand.

"I've told you about her, but I wasn't sure". Antonio shrugged.

"Of what?" Ophelia asked. He was acting weird.

"I don't know. I-"

"How did you two even meet?" The woman, Tiffany questioned, interrupting Antonio while giving Charles a look when she faced back to him.

Ophelia let out a nervous laugh, brushing some hair away from her face. "Oh, gosh. It's embarrassing".

"Well, now we have to hear it". Charles hoped over the couch, sitting next to Tiffany, almost spilling his beer everywhere when he sat down.

Ophelia looked at Antonio who was looking away and then he looked at her. "You want me to tell it?" He asked with a smile. Oh, that smile that she fell in love with. It was a smile that could make any girl swoon. Ophelia nodded her head. "Please. I don't even think I can handle hearing it". She laughed.

"Well, as my fellow friends know. I have no family besides you guys. I get rides from strangers. Basically someone who has no life". His friends laughed, Charles, raised his beer to the sky.

"Preach".

"Well after I got a ride from a stranger I met little ol' Ophelia here outside a gas station". Antonio pointed to her and her face started to become red and she buried her face in her hands.

"Guess what? No family. No home. She is just like me except she's basically an angel".

Tiffany gushed at that, her hand scrunching up her cheek as she looked over to Ophelia. "Cute. It's like you two were meant for each other". Tiffany then looked over to Antonio who shared a knowing look.

Ophelia looked over to Antonio who was looking at her with a serious look.

"It's like I was meant to find her"