Chapter 12: Fourth of July

Summer of 1976

Summer of 1976

"Tell me again, why are we helping Max move all his work stuff?" Ophelia asked, carrying a box outside of the store, setting it down for Marko to move.

"Because he asked us too".

Ophelia bursted out laughing at David's comment.  David looked at her unamused while Marko smiled, looking like a golden retriever who was just happy to be there when he looked from Ophelia to David.

"Since when did you become so polite?"  Ophelia raised an eyebrow to David.

"He's my creator.  All of our creators-I know he's not yours-"

"I don't like him David".  Ophelia told David seriously, her eyes holding concern.  "Every time I'm near him his energy is bad and I get a weird feeling in my stomach". 

"Maybe you're pregnant".  Paul commented, walking past her.  Ophelia only glared at the back of his stupid rats nest he calls hair.

"That wasn't funny Paul!"  Ophelia hissed.

Dwayne whacked Paul on the back of his head when Paul entered the store.

"Ophelia-"

"No, David".  Ophelia wanted him to just listen to her.  "This has happened before with certain people on the boardwalk. It's like I feel the negative energy off of them and it's like a warning". Ophelia tried to explain.

"Maybe it's her thing".  Marko chimed in, looking to David.  "We can manipulate people to see things that we want and she can tell if someone is bad or not".  Marko took in his own words, furrowing his eyebrows together, not knowing if that was correct.  "Or something like that"

"Isn't it if you kill the head vampire then you become the head vampire?" Ophelia turned back to David.

"Ophelia". David said in a warning tone.

"What? He's not even here".  Ophelia crossed her arms over her chest.

Each year it seemed that Ophelia was gaining their habits.  She was becoming more rebellious and started to develop a sharp tongue to her where she spoke her mind.  Killings were starting to become easier but she still did them on her own conditions.  It seemed that the vampire lifestyle was changing her.  For the better.  It was making her stronger.

"We all know you would be a better head vampire.  Hell, you're basically one already".  Ophelia gave David one last comment and then headed back in the store, moving past Dwayne and Paul to continue move boxes.

David watched her figure retreat, not saying anything.  Of course he was thinking about what he said but he already made up his mind.  He felt that he owed Max for everything that he's done for him and the rest of his brothers. 

Ophelia continued to put vinyls, cassette tapes, and even track tapes in boxes.  Words were barley spoken between everyone as they worked faster so they could just leave and get on with their night.  Ophelia suddenly stopped as she felt goosebumps on her arms and her head start to spin slightly.  She already knew who just came in the shop without even hearing the voice.