Night 04: Tally Up Them Nine Lives

"It's raining. It's pouring. The little girl should have been snoring. I cracked her head and now she's dead. They'll probably find her in the morning." 

The girl was no older than seventeen. She ran for her life down the long alleyways looking for an escape from her insane tormentor. She almost saw her way to freedom. The bright lights of the sidewalk and streetlamps. She heard the multitude of voices, her fellow Gothamites,  as they passed in comfort knowing they weren't the poor soul trapped in the alley screaming for someone to save them.

"Someone help me!!!" she yelled at the top of her lungs. Cries like hers were always heard. This was Gotham City after all. They were just as easy to ignore too. She continued running. She was almost there as the black figure crossed her path and blocked her view. 

"Where are you going little bird? I'm not done with you."

     She screamed again, certain someone would hear her and call the police. Until then, she ran. She ran until she felt something sharp and cold pierce through her ankle. Instantly she fell hard to the concrete below. She looked down to see a knife had been thrown right through the back of her ankle, blood pooling around her foot. 

"Stop trying to fly away little bird. Whether you like it or not, I'm doing you a favor clipping your wings. By the time I'm finished with you, you'll be another in the myriad of souls who I've saved from the fires that is this mortal world. Rejoice that I chose you my dear. Now you'll never have to worry about growing old and losing your looks."

She couldn't get up any longer. All she could do was watch as the man mounted on top of her fragile frame and poised his hands ready to bring down his blade and end her. 

"Please...my parents have money. I can give you anything!" she sobbed harshly. The killer thought for a moment.

     "I'm doing this for you. If I wanted your money, I would've taken it. You're all alike. Thinking money can solve all your problems--"

Before she could beg any further, a gut wrenching weight dropped onto her abdomen. It came again. And again. And again. And again. And again. With her last breath, the teenager looked down at her stomach and was horrified into silence. Her expensive clothes were ripped as geysers of blood spurted through. Her innards were savagely torn out and placed on display for the rest of her city to see. Darkness crept in at the corner of her eyes. It only claimed her after she heard her final four words:

"Sleep well my dear."

Her hand fell into the puddle of red liquid and her flesh drained of all its color. The eyes slowly rolled to the back of her head and she was gone. 

     A sick and twisted grin sprawled across the killer's lips as his tongue lapped up the streams of blood across the corners of his mouth. 

"Another one for the charts." he sighed happily. As if feeling the afterglow of sexual pleasure, the killer turned his knife upon his own body and carved out a single notch. It was yet another in a vast sea of self harm markers and another victim to add to the mass grave of bodies left in his wake.

"Oh, but we mustn't forget!"

He had to frame her. Moving the corpse was no big deal as he made sure to place her in a position most flattering to her young form. A crack of her bones there. Another twist of her neck here and finally she was perfect and ready for her debut with the police and the world. Placing his coat around his narrow shoulders, he walked away from the scene as if nothing happened and back into society.

*    *    *    *

     The 'Pussy Whipped' was overcrowded and loud as usual. Bright neon pink and blue lights flashed on and off on the stage as a dancer masterfully swung herself around the pole. Had she not been on stage, Eli wouldn't have bothered being there. He kept promising to cheer his friend on night after night since returning to the city, but after what happened at Wayne Tower, Eli was in no mood to hang out in a strip club. Still a promise was a promise. So here he sat, head buried into his phone as his friend earned her pay dancing and shaking parts in front of an audience of dangerously sexually activated drunk men and women.