Night 09: White Rabbit

Little by little Bruce ventured back into his city. He needed to breath in Gotham's soul, let the air tainted with darkness, intrigue and sorrow seep into his skin. He opened all of his senses and tried hearing and tasting everything around him. Each time he went back out, Bruce disguised himself, terrified that if he dared showed his natural face, the city, as well as the rest of the world would eat him alive. He wasn't ready for the change, but he knew he had to be no matter what he felt. He drove an average car, nothing flashy, and always parked behind the GCPD headquarters. He walked amongst his familiar streets. Something was different. A better different. A lot more couples were out. More than what Bruce remembered. Across the street walked an elderly duo holding hands. Children actually ran on the sidewalks and a school bus filled with grinning kids and teachers whizzed past like they didn't have a care in the world. Bruce couldn't believe it. Gotham actually felt crime free. The people didn't have the same look of fear and loathing they use to. Their steps looked more lively, their voices came loud and clear and...they were smiling. Bruce stood still in the middle of everything. He was in a different place. A different time.

     He was standing in a dream. A dream he kept deep within his heart and soul and never spoke it aloud. A gentle drizzle seemed to be cleaning the concrete and for the first time in years, Gotham was transported back to when the world made more sense, the Waynes' were alive and the city was the shining beacon it use to be in its prime. A city for tomorrow. All the monsters were gone, including Batman. 

"Excuse me." Bruce asked a woman passing with her husband. "This is Gotham City, right?"

"Of course young man." the wife grinned.

"I bet'cha can't recognize it now that you don't see the folks bent over in depression. Nah, we're actually walking with our heads held high for the first time in decades and crime's damn near nonexistent nowadays." answered her husband.

"But, what about the Batman?"

     The husband spat on the ground.

"Batman. Yeah, he was good for his day, but the city wasn't getting cleaned up with how he use to operate. Now he's finally taking out the trash and actually making Gotham safer for us older folk. I mean, take a look around sonny. We can even walk around at night."

Bruce's body went rigid. Was this the better option? Was both he and Batman obsolete? Gotham did look better without him and from what the papers were saying, criminals were not looking to make a comeback. What if Batman really was the reason Gotham was suffering? Now that he was gone, the city was recovering. Bruce's dream was finally coming true. His city was safe. He walked away from the couple and toward a newspaper stand. He bought himself a paper and went to the nearest diner for a cup of coffee. His nerves tingled as he waited for his order. There was a real viable chance there was no need for Batman anymore and with that purpose taken, what was Bruce and Batman to do? Bruce Wayne was needed to fix the vultures destroying his father's company.

     Batman was needed to fix the wrongs of the city...but Gotham no longer needed nor wanted the dark protector and they were barely tolerating Wayne. The people knew if the wrong sort stepped out of line, their heads would literally be delivered to the front steps of the GCPD. The average citizens were free. Criminals were more afraid of the 'Angel of Death' than of Batman and thanks to the body count and actual evidence of consequences, they were staying put and keeping out of the way. 

"They don't need us." Bruce spoke into his black coffee. "Things are better this way."

'Don't coward out. Killing never leads to true peace. You know that better than anyone. For now it's the lull before the storm.'

A rowdy group of teenagers sat in the booth behind him.

"Yo, can you imagine the type of shit we could be getting into?" one of them chuckled.