Final Night: And There Came A Day When Death Met the Sin And Their Fathers

Bane knew it wouldn't take long before news of his failure reached the ears of his shadowy benefactors. Not that he regretted his decision to follow Ra's Al Ghul, but the ghosts expected something from him and unlike his previous missions, he failed to deliver, so it wasn't a shock when another ghost appeared in front of his men in their hideout. Nothing was said, but it was understood Bane was to be taken to the higher ups of whoever it was controlling the figures in white masks. He and Crane were ushered into a sleek black car with hardly any light reflecting off the windows. The interior inside the car was a charcoal grey that seemed to absorb any passing street lamp lights, casting inside with permanent shadow. Bane felt as if he was riding in the back of a hearse. 

"Where do you think they're taking us?" Crane whispered beside him. Bane said absolutely nothing and focused all his attention on the back of the heads of their escorts. He couldn't see where they were going, but knew judging from the many minutes that passed it was far into the city. The car stopped and the back door opened. Two guards with eyes bright and wide like flashlights dressed in all black and gold armor approached.

     They silently guided Bane through three iron carved doors that lead to a final one made of ivory. All around the perimeter were etched figures in strange postures dancing with creatures that clearly looked like demons. Flying high around them were birds of all shapes and sizes, but most importantly sitting upon a high throne sculpted around the doorknob was the body of a king adorned in his robes of ebony and gold with a crown of pure silver upon the head of an owl. The guards whispered something Bane couldn't make out and the door opened. Behind the door was a massive and polished marble floor that held the weight of a tall room that smelled of dust, incense and secrets. Standing near the entrance were old statues of soldiers wielding ancient swords and shields looking as if they could come to life at any given moment. The room itself curved like a half moon, it's walls all lined with old worldly looking artifacts, books, lit torches and the heads of beasts and men. For a short while, Bane forgot he was still in Gotham.

"Enter Bane. We were just talking about you." greeted a ghost. Situated squarely in the middle of the towering chamber was a long elegant table made of bone (of which bones Bane wasn't sure) decorated solely with silver feathers.

     "Oh my...I never thought there could be such a place right underneath Gotham." Crane gasped.

"This place does not exist Dr. Crane, if you understand my meaning." the ghost waved a hand to the table. Sitting were more strange figures, all of them were wearing feathered masks that resembled the face of different owls. Bane was well aware of cult like behavior and when he was in the presence of such radical people. This was no different than the many "secret" organizations he had helped Ra's destroy for the greater good of the bigger goal.

"We are disappointed with you two." a female voice said.

"We literally gave you a free ticket to use the city as you pleased in order to destroy Batman." said a male voice.

"And all we wanted in return was the corpse of your young assailant."

     "That doesn't sound like much to ask for." Crane commented.

"It isn't Dr. Crane. Tonight was your chance to spill as much blood and horror as your depraved hearts desired, but you have failed us. Batman lives and has the body of the assassin."

"I do not know why you people are so fascinated with the body of a dead child and quite frankly, I don't care. He's of no use to the Bat anymore than a boat without water." Bane folded his arms.

"Then why does Batman still live? You barely did anything according to plan and we want to know why."

"You don't seem to have the scars and markings of battle on you. Tell us, why have you failed so quickly?"