Night 07: Reaper's Requiem

"Look, I just need you to watch the kid for a couple of days Gordon...no I'm not home and I can't tell you where I am...don't worry about it, just make sure she's well fed and clothed. If you have the chance to send her to school...yeah...she's not gonna like it, but it's just for a little while till I sort things out...thanks again Gordon."

Selina tossed the cellphone away from her. There was nothing she wouldn't give to go back home with Holly and have their old lives back, but ever since that woman came into the club asking for Bruce, nothing's been the same. This wasn't the first time Selina had been upended from her home, so it made perfect sense that she always kept a small lineup of other hideouts in the back of her mind. She decided to hide out in her least favorite spot, an apartment rented out on the ritzy part of town,  but she knew she and Eli would be well protected by the fact that Selina had made sure to never make an appearance around the area before tonight. She never talked to her neighbors and kept a damn near invisible profile whenever she had to go out for groceries. Before her world was flipped upside down, she kept the place well stacked with provisions and money just in case she and Holly needed a quick escape from the pimps and thugs of the East End.

     Selina was hoping the next time she would've seen this place was when she and Holly were cleaning house and taking everything from each hideout to finally move on to their true dream of a life in Paris. She never expected to be virtually stuck in the place as a shady organization stalked her movements while nursing a bedridden assassin. Speaking of which, she went to check on her patient. It had been three days and three nights since Selina carried the near lifeless body of her friend into her home and laid him out on the bed. She tore off the remainders of his tattered clothes and changed him into the only thing she had available: a nightgown. Once she laid Eli's head down on the pillow, it was a fight to keep him alive. One moment his pulse rose too quickly and frightened Selina into a frenzied panic and the next his body was still, pulse nonexistent and his temperature well below normal. Selina didn't know what to do half the time and at one point she swore his pulse stopped. Plenty of times she was tempted to call someone for help, but then quickly remembered no one was suppose to know of their whereabouts.

     By the end of the third night she was shocked to find Eli alive and sitting up.

"You're okay. Oh my god, you're okay!" Selina rushed to the bed. She took a seat next to the boy and gathered him into her arms. She wasn't expecting anything and didn't feel hurt when her hug wasn't reciprocated. 

"Where am I?" Eli's voice was a raspy low whisper.

"Don't worry, we're safe. No one knows we're here."

"How long was I asleep?"

Selina chose to focus on fixing Eli's hair and brushed several rebel strands behind his ears. When she didn't answer, Eli's cold eyes shot daggers into hers.

     "I asked, how long?" he repeated.

"It doesn't matter. You looked like shit and needed the rest." Selina again avoided the question.

"Selina!" Eli's body heaved. His head fell into his hands as his shouting brought up that long stewing headache. He began groaning in frustration, shaking his head and body like a fussy toddler wanting to get up and move about.

"Calm down." Selina took a motherly hand to Eli's face. "Promise me you're not going to freak when I tell you."

Eli silently nodded his head.

"Three days."

Eli shook free of her hold and went to tear off his sheets.

     "Where the hell do you think you're going? You're in no condition to be out of bed." Selina fought to tuck the boy back in.