Night 05: Seek to Never Find, Ask and the Door Remains Closed

Eli couldn't remember the last time the day went by with just him and his master spending time together in near ignorant bliss. A cool and thirst quenching breeze wafted through the gardens, blowing petals and leaves all around. The grass was warm under Eli as he sat next to his teacher in silence. The only sounds to be heard were the birds singing from their bronzed cages and the majestic roaring of the massive waterfall spreading its mist and foam. From outside the glass dome encasing the beautiful oasis, the sky was speckled with white and grey clouds lazily drifting from one end to the next. It was moments like these that made Eli proud and happy to serve Ra's Al Ghul. The Old Master kept the child close by his side, one hand resting on his young assassin's, while the other laid palm down upon his knee. They sat before a solitary stone pillar, placing flowers and candles around in a peculiar pattern. A gentle squeeze from Ra's hand told Eli he could stop. The flowers were watered from the spray of the waterfall and the two people gave a short, polite bow to the pillar. This was the final resting place of the only woman Ra's Al Ghul ever truly loved. He never wrote her name, choosing to keep his heart a secret from the eyes of the world.

     No one without the consent of the master was ever allowed to venture into his beloved's garden, so Eli felt there must have been something special about him that his teacher brought him inside this beautiful place. He never knew the name of his master's beloved, but he respected the man's choice and never asked anything more than he was allowed. After placing the flowers and candles in front of the grave, the two walked around, Ra's arm around his assassin. The world was calm and peaceful inside the  garden. 

"This is but a small portion of my design for the world Al'malak." said Ra's. "Nature and Man living side by side, working to its fullest potential to maintain the balance of life and all its powers. This is what I strive to achieve young one. If nothing is done, mankind will continue to rage like a cancer over the world, spreading diseases and destruction like the plague-bringers they are."

"But why do you have to be the one who does this? Why can't you just teach people and let them bring about this world you seek?" Eli asked.

     Ra's plucked a flower from a branch and placed the red blossom into his student's silver hair. 

"There is a balance in all things beloved. Wisdom with understanding. Creation and destruction. Birth and death. Righteousness and divine punishment. Many before and after me have tried their hand in creating their better world using words alone. Sometimes actions were taken, but they were never enough. Mankind still skulks about, poisoning all they touch, including words spoken centuries before their creation. Left alone, they have grown in sheer number, devouring all in their path and leaving nothing for anything to come after. Man has not been kept in check. I have lived for centuries Al'malak and know the ways and turns of the tides. Who else but I has the knowledge and power to lead the world back on course with its original path?".

Eli gazed into the rippling pond and saw his reflection. The flower was bright and beautiful in his hair.

     Who was to say beautiful things would continue to exist if Ra's didn't gain control of the world? Could Eli really be strong enough to help his master make a difference and more importantly, would he still be alive to ever see that change? The world of balance sounded wonderful with people working together with nature instead of building atop of it and destroying everything. A peculiarly bitter wind blew through the garden and violently ruffled the waters. Eli's flower fell into the pond. His eyes grew blank and all color left his face when he saw the red petals dye the waters in bloody red. The waterfall shook. The rocks and ground dried and split in twain as a mighty quake shook the perfect oasis. The land moaned with intense pain. Eli looked around for his master and found himself alone in the dark. He began to run. It didn't matter where he was going, so long as it meant finding any source of light. The shadows persisted and gave chase with each step. The garden vanished and Eli fell into an endless void. He fell for days, silent and terrified until he felt something solid slam into his body. Eli's soul had crash landed back into his chest.