Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Lissa didn't know when she finally awoke from the black mist of fogginess. Her head was groggy and everything was reeling. She peeled her eyes open and slowly took in her surroundings. She was still confined on the same room she had been before when she had given birth to her son. A quick flash of memory of her son flickered in her mind. Black hair and a loud wailing before she passed out. She let out a groan and leaned back on the heel of her hands as she tried to push herself backward so that she could rest her weight on the pillow. Dante Matteo de Antonio. Her very own child. Finally, she had someone to love and had someone to love her back.

"I want to see my wife!" A loud, boomerang of a voice rang throughout the hospital.

"Calm down, sir. You'll see her in a minute, we'll just have to check-up on her if she's awake." A nurse said.

"That's just what you said an hour ago!" Lucca's deep voice said, sounding close to panic and exaggeration. 

"Sir, please be aware that she's asleep and shouldn't be disturbed. Perhaps, you should go and check-up on your son." the lady tried again.

"I've already checked-up on him a million times. He's asleep now too and I don't want to disturb him. He probably won't want his Dad interrupting his peaceful sleep so let me see my wife now. I swear, I won't wake her up. I just have to see her if she's fine. Please, Nurse. You don't know how long I've been waiting and I'm jet-lagged." Lucca pleaded, sounding so genuinely tired and beaten-up which was unusual of her sophisticated husband.

Lissa heard the Nurse sighed and could just imagine her nodding. "Alright. Do not even contemplate of touching her, Mr. de Antonio or I will get the security to usher you out of here. Your wife had just given birth and her situation had been very complicated and dangerous." The Nurse warned and the was the last thing Lissa heard before the doorknob turned and her raggedy looking husband came in,

His hair was directed all over the place as if he had ran his hands through his thick mane. He looked frustrated, tired and all other things Lissa couldn't exactly put her hands on. His shirt was untucked and he looked as if he hadn't had any sleep yet. He looked up and it was as if Christmas had come early. He smiled and rushed to her side. She was no longer aware of the slight pain and the discomfort that she was feeling as her husband hugged her to him. He was very careful not to crush her as he set her aside.

"Man, I thought I lost you, tesoro mia." Lucca's eyes became glassy and it looked as if he was going to cry.

Lissa laughed weekly and caressed his stubbly cheek. "You can't get rid of me that quickly, big guy."

In spite of her attempt in joking, her husband stared at her with a serious expression glued on his face. "No, I guess not. Promise me, you won't go through that again, cara. I can't bear to lose you, not when I'm so close to finding out,"

Lissa frowned, "finding out what? And you know we can't guarantee it. No one can. I thought you were supposed to be in Italy for a week?" She had been hoping to have her baby all by herself secretly. But it looked like her big, bulky of a husband would not leaving her side soon.

"I was supposed to but Max immediately rang me during labour. I thought you promised me that you would call in case something happened, Melissa. Did you not give me your word?" A slight annoyance laced into his voice and a scowl had replaced his concerned face but she knew that it lurked close behind despite of his outburst. 

"I know. But I couldn't exactly call you, because I was in so much pain." she explained, slowly. As if he was a retard and could not understand. "I barely even remember getting into the hospital. Max and I were at this baby shop I found and after lunch we went there and that's when a painful and agonizing contraction hit me. Max rushed me to the closest hospital and here I am twenty-four hours later. Pushed Dante out and speaking of him, where is he? I want to see him and hold him in my arms." Desperation and longing betrayed her voice but she didn't care. All she wanted right now was to rest and hold her baby.