Chapter Two

Chapter Two

 Lissa stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her face was filled with light make-up that she insisted to be on as she was never a big fan of heavy cosmetics. Her eyes travelled downwards to her neck and saw the pearl necklace glinted against the translucent object in front of her. After her encounter with Lucca, she had not been in the condition of going to his many important events. But her stubborn and cold-blooded husband had made sure she was to go with him as he did not wanted to be humiliated in front of his dear, beloved friends. It seemed like they were more important than Lissa and though that was one of her theories; she never had the strength to bring the subject up. Well, it looked as if she didn't have to as she was not about to give up on the divorce settlement she'd been wanting to get. Playing the conversation that she had with Lucca came to mind and she wondered why he had been flabbergasted at the thought of her leaving him and asking for a divorce that made him clearly think she was cheating on him. Never would in a million years she would do that; and after all, she made a vow to love and cherish him. For better or for worst, till death do them apart.

But obviously those vows they've spoken in front of the altar was meaningless to Lucca. Not only he lacks of love for her but also respect. She'd been so head over heels for her husband when they first married, thinking of the ways to be the obedient wife she could ever be. Lissa had tried her best not to show him how much she hurt when for the first few months of their marriage; she'd been cast aside and his attention was stolen from many beautiful women in the grand parties they had attended in the past. Whilst her husband had fun, she was left alone in the dark and sitting by herself as she watched unfamiliar faces trudged along and did not even bothered to set eyes on her. Shaking her head at the memories, she stood up and made her way to go downstairs and wait for her husband. She opened their bedroom door and walked past a few rooms where she thought would be filled with laughing, and happy children they've conceived. She walked past her husband's study and heard him talking in a loud, angry voice as she heard him say "what do you mean she doesn't know? What is this, some sick joke?" Lissa knew that she should have not eavesdropped but she couldn't help herself from tilting her head sideways and hearing more of what he had to say. "You told her it was just a marriage of convenience? Did you not tell her the rest of the contract and what her role is as being my wife?"

A jolt of panic seized Lissa as she contemplated the idea of her husband talking about her. But who was on the phone? Her thoughts was cut off when Lucca's voice emerged again and Lissa's heart sank when she heard him say, "Of course, she doesn't know that! What sort-of mother are you? Telling your daughter that she was only to get married and be the obedient wife that she was asked to be? Did you not tell her that at some point I would like to go back to my old life and build a life with the woman I love?" She reached out and gripped the door, careful of not to make a noise as she took a deep breath. Her eyes stung from the unshed tears. She couldn't believed what she'd just heard, surely he must have felt something for her. A little compassion?

Lucca must have put the phone on speaker as a familiar's voice came from within. "I did not tell her those things as the girl probably fancy herself in love with you." That was her mother's voice. She was sure of it, and just hearing her words felt like she'd betrayed Lissa.

"Your daughter wants a divorce, Amanda" Lucca said, flatly.

"You know that's not ideal! A divorce was never part of the contract and she knew that!"

"Melissa once said to me this morning that she's changed. She wants a divorce and I don't think no one would ever change her mind on that"

"Then make her change her mind! Coax her into doing something or blackmail her. Tell her you're planning to take away her father's land and he'd be forced to leave it. Or get her pregnant, a child would always bind you forever. Whatever you do, don't get her to file for a divorce." A sudden cold feeling settled in her chest, leaving her dry and freezing. They could not do that! They couldn't blackmail her into not filing for a divorce and risk the matter of her father being homeless. Lissa knew that she had never been close to her mother; and marrying an Italian billionaire was something she thought Lissa had ever done right since the day she had given birth to her. But suggesting such a thought had gone beyond the line.