Misha

This is a more thought-out explanation of their past

Misha grew up in the village next to where Vine lived. However, the road between was usually dangerous and covered in snow, so the two only met once. After the fire, the death of Misha's uncle (Vine's father), and Vine's disappearance, the family is heartbroken. Vine is almost immediately assumed dead, because he was nine and would never be able to survive on his own in the woods, since there was clear evidence he had went into the woods. The family still chooses to hang up missing person posters, especially Misha and their mom.

A little over a decade later, Misha is taking a shortcut through the woods after visiting the remains of the house, and a group of hunters accidentally shoot them. They panic, and one thinks they should go to the cops while the other thinks they should leave them alone. Eventually they leave, assuming Misha is already dead or will bleed out quickly.

Miraculously, they survive, but stuck in the woods. They had to quickly adapt to living in the woods, but after months their sanity started to slip. The hunters return after a few months, very shaken from what happened before, and in a rage Misha kills them both. They choose to stay in the woods, living in caves and wolf dens before Slender finds them.

Their family is devasted, losing both Vine and Misha was a heavy blow. The local police do try their best, but are unable to see what happened to them. Both are presumed dead, but their family chooses to hope and believe that they're still alive. Vine is completely unaware of this, since he wasn't around to see their reaction to his disappearance. Misha is aware of how they reacted to Vine, and thus has a good idea of how they felt after they disappeared, but doesn't want to go back. They'd rather the family remember the two for who they used to be rather than what they've become.