4

14th December 1918

Maura stands beside Polly and Ada, Finn and John's pack of children as they await the return of the older Shelby brothers

Maura had John's youngest Katie, who was about to turn three, rested on her hip as she stares at the train that was slowing to a stop.

"'Aura," Katie gurgles and the woman smiles at her, gently tickling her stomach.

"That's right, clever girl," Maura coos at her. "You definitely didn't inherit your dad's brains did you?"

"Oi!"

Maura looks up and her posture crumples slightly. Stood in front of her was her now twenty three year old brother, a toothpick between his lips as he grins at her.

John almost didn't recognise his sister, his mind only having the image of the scrawny fourteen year old girl they had left behind. But in front of him was a young woman, gone were the small bits of baby fat from her face. It was now strong high cheekbones and defined features. She had grown up in the years they had been away and a part of him refused to accept it.

"John," Maura smiles at him but he notices it doesn't meet her eyes. "This is your daughter, Katie"

John looks at the small blonde toddler who was sitting on Maura's hip. She had big blue eyes that peer up at him and he smiles at her.

Maura gently passes Katie over to John who holds her close to him, kneeling down as his other children run over to greet their father.

She feels a presence behind her and turns to see Tommy. He looked the same as she remembered him and yet so very different at the same time. His features were identical to the day he had left, but his eyes. They no longer had that spark that once shone there. Now it was replaced with darkness, the spark had been snuffed by the horrors of war.

"Hello Maura,"

Maura takes two steps forward, reaching out a shaky hand. Once she touches Tommy's shoulder to prove her was really there, her arms wrap around his neck. Her face was pressed into his shoulder as his arms quickly wrap around her.

"You look beautiful," Tommy says, pulling away and looking at his sister. "You look like our mother"

Maura smiles at him, her brown eyes peering up at him.

"MAURA!" A loud voice bellows.

Maura turns to see her eldest brother striding towards her. His arms wrap around her and he lifts her clean off her feet, spinning her around as she tightens her grip on him.

"Don't ever leave me again," Maura sniffles.

Maura had always been closest with Tommy and Arthur. John liked to mess around and he was fun but Tommy and Arthur were her protectors. They were the ones who would insist on tying her shoes despite her Aunt and mother's protests that she was too old for her brothers to tie her shoes. They were the ones who would sneak her sweets and toys they had stolen from the market.

One day, they had worked together and stolen Maura a doll with beautiful blonde curls and a beautiful blue dress. Arthur had distracted the shop keeper as Tommy had stolen the doll, gifting it to the five year old girl whose face had lit up like a lightbulb at the present.

Maura allows a tear to fall from her eye as she clutches to the back of Arthur's jacket.

"I won't," Arthur says. "I promise"

Maura pulls back, wiping her eyes and when she looks past Arthur's shoulder her eyes lock onto Edward Thorne. He had certainly matured in his time away, his features had become more chiselled and he had become even more handsome than the day he had left.

"Hi Maura," Edward says, taking her hand and pressing it to his lips.

"Edward," Maura smiles.

"Let's go for a fucking drink!" Arthur shouts.