5

March 1919
Maura was walking through the streets of Small Heath, her destination was the Shelby Betting Shop that was hidden in a discreet extension to the abandoned house next door.

Maura was part of the cover for the betting shop, the brothers had created her a small flat above the betting shop which she lived in.

Maura opens the front door to the main Shelby household, Tommy entering not long after.

Maura walks into the small dining room in time to watch Finn try and toss a small item into the fire.

"Finn?" Tommy asks and his youngest brother's eyes widen.

"Arthur's mad as hell," The boy says.

Tommy squats down, picking up the cigarette nub that had missed the fire with a raised eyebrow.

"What does a 10-year-old know about hell? Eh?" Tommy lightly taps Finn on the head with his cap and the boy slumps, knowing he had been caught by his two favourite siblings.

"I'm 11 Sunday," Finn whines.

"Still not old enough to be putting that shit in your lungs," Maura says.

"You do it,"

"I'm allowed,"

"Says who?"

"Me," Maura says. "Now go find something to do, and if I find out you've smoked another cigarette you'll be dealing with me"

Maura joins her brother as he pushes open the door to the betting shop and the noise invades her ears instantly.

"Get your bets in now for the 2:30 at Kempton,"

"Right, what we got on Percy Piper?"

"Piper going well in the soft, lads. Down to fours,"

"Fours,"

"Okay, Monaghan Boy? Wanna push that down, mate,"

"Two to one, still,"

"Two to one. Get your bets in now,"

"What do you say? We got Topper in, he's an old favourite,"

"Four to one,"

John looks up and spots his older brother and youngest sister and practically bounces over, his eyes alight with excitement.

"Tommy! Tommy!" John calls. "Tommy, look at the book. Just look. All on Monaghan Boy"

"Good work, John," Tommy says, clapping his brother on the shoulder.

"Tommy!" Arthur's loud voice booms above all the other noise. "Get in here. Now"

"It was great knowing you Tommy," Maura says and Tommy cuffs his sister upside her head. "Ow, you fucker!"

"Your mouth is getting the best of you again I see,"

"Well I am my brothers' sister," Maura says, turning to see Edward Thorne with a grin on his face.

On his head was the signature peaked cap that, which in certain angles, glinted in the sunlight reminding the people of Small Heath that within the cap were razor blades that none of the members were afraid to use.

"Right!" Arthur says. "I've called this family meeting because I've got some very important news. Scudboat and Lovelock got back from Belfast last night. They were buying a stallion to cover their mares. They were in a pub on the Shankhill Road yesterday, and in that pub there was a copper. Handing out these,"

"If you're over five feet and can fight, come to Birmingham," Maura reads the words emblazoned across the flyer. "So they're recruiting Protestant Irishmen to come over here as Specials?"

"To do what?" Ada asks but the look on her face gives away that she'd rather be anywhere but the meeting.

"To clean up the city, Ada," Tommy says. "He's the Chief Inspector. The last four years, he's been clearing the IRA out of Belfast"

"How do you know so bloody much?" Arthur asks.

"'Cause I asked the coppers on our payroll," Tommy says.

"And why didn't you tell me?"

"I'm telling you,"

"So why are they sending him to Birmingham?" Polly asks.

"Well, there's been all these bloody strikes at the BSA," Tommy says.

At that news, Maura's eyes flicker briefly to Ada who had shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

"And the Austin works, lately. Now the papers are talking about sedition. And revolution. I reckon it's communists he's after"

Maura watches her older sister take a deep breath at Tommy's words.

"So this copper's gonna leave us alone, right?" Polly asks.

"There are Irishmen in Green Lanes who left Belfast to get away from him," Tommy says. "They say Catholic men who crossed him used to disappear in the night"

"Yeah, but we ain't IRA," John says. "We bloody fought for the King. Anyway, we're Peaky Blinders. We're not scared of coppers"

"He's right," Arthur says.

"If they come for us, we'll cut them a smile each," John finishes.

"So, Arthur. Is that it?" Tommy asks.

"What do you think, Aunt Poll?" Arthur asks.

"This family does everything open. You've nothing more to say to this meeting, Thomas?" Polly asks.

"No,"

"Nothing that's women's business," Tommy says which causes Maura and Polly to scoff.

"This whole fucking business was our business while you lot were away at war," Maura says. "What's fucking changed?"

"We came back,"

Maura scoffs, shaking her head at her brother.

"Go fuck yourself Thomas,"

She stands up, knocking her chair back before walking towards the front door grabbing her coat as she does so. The loud slamming of the door signifies Maura's exit from the house.