12

The door slams open causing Maura and Edward to jolt awake. Edward holds the sheet to Maura's body as they both stare at Tommy Shelby whose face was as stoic as ever.

"Hi Tom," Maura says, offering her brother a shy smile.

"Get dressed," Tommy says. "I don't think it'll be too hard to find some clothing, there's a trail of it leading to the bedroom door"

Maura and Edward glance at each other before looking back to Tommy.

"We're going to the Garrison," Tommy says. "So get dressed"

Tommy leaves and the pair look at each other before Maura snorts and the pair begin to laugh.

Maura's three older brothers, Edward and herself get comfortable in the Snug. Maura had a glass of whisky in front of her matching her two brothers and her lover.

"Did you want whisky as well?" Grace asks Tommy.

"No, just beer," Tommy says.

"Why no whisky, Tom. You expecting trouble?" Arthur asks.

Maura winces, rubbing her ears at the pain caused by the caterwauling coming from the main bar.

"Jesus Christ, Tommy, what the hell made you let them sing?" Edward asks.

"They sound like they're strangling cats out there," John chimes in.

"All right," Tommy says, amusement clear on his face. "Twenty's the play, come on"

"Now, what did make you change your mind though, Tommy? Hmm?" Arthur asks leaning forward.

"It's about time, Tommy," Edward says.

"Time for what? Well time you took yourself a woman,"

"You'd know all about that would you Ed?"

"Just play the bloody hand," Edward says.

"You stay the way you are, Tommy," Arthur says. "Remember what Dad used to say.
Fast women and slow horses-"

"Will ruin your life," The two Shelby brothers chime to Tommy.

"When are you going to get a woman Ed?" John asks.

Edward looks away from John and Maura shifts uncomfortably as Tommy snickers.

Headlights distract them from their conversation.

"Coppers,"

"No,"

"Fuck," Maura whispers. "It's him isn't it?"

A gunshot causes all of them to head towards the door.

"I said, is there any man here named Shelby?"

Tommy throws open the door to the Snug and they all walk out, their eyes on Kimber.

"Harry, get these men a drink," Maura says.

"Everyone else go home," Tommy says before his eyes turn to Grace. "You go home"

"But Mr Fenton said-"

"I said go home,"

"I've never approved of women in pubs but when they look like that," Billy says and his attention turns to Maura. "Or that"

"You said you want men called Shelby," Tommy says. "You've got three of them and a Shelby woman"

"Right, I never heard of ya. And then I did hear of ya, some little didicoy razor gang. I thought to meself, so what?" Kimber says.
"But then you fucked me over. So now you have my undivided attention. By the way, which one am I talking to? Who's the boss?"

"Well, I'm the oldest," Arthur says.

"Ha! Clearly,"

"Are you laughing at my brother?" John asks leaning forward.

"Right," Kimber says. "He's the oldest. You're the thickest. You're a woman and he's clearly fucking her so he's not a Shelby unless that's how you lot do it here"

John and Arthur's eyes move to Edward who shifts uncomfortably.

"I'm told the boss is called Tommy, and I'm guessing that's you, 'cause you're looking me up and down like I'm a fucking tart,"

"I want to know what you want," Tommy says.

"There were suspicious betting patterns at Kempton Park," A man with glasses says and all eyes fall on him. A horse called Monaghan Boy. He won by a length twice and then finished last. With £3,000 bet on him"

"Which one am I talking to?" Tommy asks.  Which one of you is the boss?"

"I'm Mr Kimber's adviser and accountant,"

"And I'm the fucking boss, okay? Right. End of parlay," Kimber shouts. "You fixed the race without my permission. You fucking gypsy scum! What, live off the war pensions and these poor old Garrison Lane widows? That's your level. I am Billy Kimber! I run the races and you fixed one of them. So I'm gonna have you shot against the post and then I'm going to fuck your doe eyed sister"

"Mr Kimber," Tommy says, glaring at him after his comment about Maura. "Look at it"

He throws Kimber a bullet which has his name engraved on it.

"That has my name on it," Tommy says. "It's from the Lee family. You are also at war with the Lees, Mr Kimber, am I right? The Lees are attacking your bookies and taking your money. Your men can't control them. You need help"

"Perhaps we should listen to what Mr Shelby has to say, before we make our decisions," The accountant says.

"Right. The Lees are doing a lot of talking at the fairs," Tommy says.
"They have a lot of kin. They're saying the racetracks are easy meat because the police are busy with strikes. Now, we have connections. We know how they operate.  You have muscle. Together we can beat them. Divided, maybe not"

"Mr Kimber, perhaps we should take some time for reflection," The accountant says. "Possibly make arrangements for a second meeting"

"I admire you, Mr Kimber," Tommy says and Maura stares at her brother who was about a step away from licking Kimber's shoes.
"You started with nothing and built a legitimate business. It would be an honour to work with you, Mr Kimber"

"Nobody works with me. People work for me," Kimber throws a coin on the floor and turns to face Maura. "Pick it up, pikey"

Maura stands up and John shoots up and Edward steps forward, fire in his eyes.

"Sit. Sit down," Maura says to John.

"Turn around," Kimber says and Maura rolls her eyes.

The woman turns and bends, picking the coin from the floor.

"It's for your ceiling," Kimber says.

"Thank you, Mr Kimber," Tommy calls after him.

"We will be at Cheltenham," The accountant says.

"As will I," Tommy says.

"So you picked a fight with the Lee's on purpose," Maura says. "I assumed you had some reasoning for that"

"Tommy, we can't mess with Billy fucking Kimber," Arthur says.

"Get yourself a decent haircut, man. Maura get yourself a pretty dress," Tommy says. "We're going to the races"

John and Arthur turn to Edward who was shifting nervously.

"Edward," Arthur says lowly.

Edward gulps and Maura looks to Tommy who was observing the interaction curiously.

"Welcome to the family!" Arthur exclaims.

"Oh thank fuck!" Maura sighs.