13

Maura looks up when Tommy walks into her living room. Arthur was sat on the floor in front of her as she runs her fingers through his hair.

Maura and Edward had been sat in front of the fire when Arthur had stumbled in with tears in his eyes which meant one thing. The Flanders Blues were back. Maura had instantly leapt into action, guiding her brother to sit down as Edward had fixed a whisky for the man which Maura had waved away before retreating to Maura's bedroom to give the siblings some privacy.

Tommy looks at Arthur who moves his head so he can see his younger brother.

"People keep asking me questions that I don't know the answer to," Arthur mumbles.

He leans his head against Maura's knees as he talks, finding comfort in the young woman who had brought light into his life since the day she was born.

"Is it true your Ada got married? I say, I don't know. Where is she living then? I don't know.  Arthur, who killed the Paddy from The Black Swan? I go, what Paddy? They say, Is it you Peaky Blinders who stole the guns from the BSA? What guns, Tommy?"

Maura looks to Tommy who takes a deep breath, clearly contemplating what to say.

"Arthur, after your beating, I thought you needed a break," Tommy says.

"What bloody guns, Tommy?" Arthur asks.

"Arthur, I was gonna tell you," Tommy says.

"You were gonna tell me?" Arthur asks, clearly not believing Tommy's words and Maura wasn't sure she believed him either.

"Arthur, listen to me. You've had a hard time these past few years. God knows you have. You deserve some rest. We had some luck. Some bloody luck. It fell off a wagon into our laps"

"No you took it from the wagon and placed it in your lap," Maura says.

"Anyway, despite the circumstances of the acquisition of them," Tommy says. "All you need to know is, it's us that has the machine guns now. And it's them that's in the mud. All right?"

Arthur looks to Maura to see what she had to say. Maura ponders for a second before opening her mouth.

"The guns are out bargaining power," Maura says, her words were diplomatic. "And it's definitely very powerful. But if someone else finds the location of those guns, we'll all hang Arth. So I'm asking you and whatever he says we do Tommy because he's the eldest in the family,"

Tommy sighs and nods, gesturing for Maura to continue.

"It's up to you now Arthur," Maura says. "We either keep the guns and risk the noose or we get rid of them in the cut or to the inspector and all the drama is over. It's for you to decide, not Tommy, not Pol, you"

"I want to keep them," Arthur says, a firm nod to prove to his siblings he was serious. "They'll help us with moving up in the world, right?"

"Right," Tommy says. "Come on. I have a surprise for you. Come on"

"Tommy," Maura says as Arthur leaves the room. "Be nice, okay?"

"I'm always nice,"

"Sure you are,"

Tommy looks at his sister with a raised eyebrow.

"That doesn't intimidate me Thomas," Maura says. "I learnt that from you"

"Polly was right," Tommy sighs. "I created a monster"

"Don't cry to me about it," Maura says. "All of this is on you"

Tommy rolls his eyes at his sister.

"You finished?"

"For now," Maura says, looking at her nails. "Bye Tom"

Tommy returns the goodbye before leaving after his brother as Edward patters back in. He sits on the sofa and Maura rests her head in his lap.

"Fucking family," Maura huffs.