Hateful Words

"Why do you look so concerned?" Ragnar asked as soon as Aslaug had a seat near them.

She let her eyes wander over to Hvitserk, Floki and Ivar, who laughed and fought one another in friendship. "I do not believe the princess to be fit for a marriage with Ivar"

"Why speak such words," The King rose from his chair and walked over to Aslaug, "at times, my daughter speaks like an old soul, carrying the weight of all Midgard upon her shoulders. She will return to right mind and find your son to be a good husband, as we all believe he will be"

"What did the princess say about me?" Ivar threw in, his attention drawn by the sound of his name. "She does not like me"

"It is not a meaning of liking" Rùna stepped closer into the hall, guided once more by the slave girl beside her. "I have heard of Ivar, the Boneless. As he might have heard of me, but father, I would never agree to such marriage. You would send me away, cast me aside. With his man? Blood will spill from this union"

Ivar snorted, got off the chair and with the help of Floki came closer to the princess. "You may be punished with your blindness and condemned to remain on this forsaken earth, but one day I will rise to Valhalla, died in battle, a legend and warrior."

In that moment, the blood in his veins froze as the cold eyes of the princess met his. "That will be the day I shall see the world fall to pieces, and-"

"Rùna!" The Queen approached her, the arm held back to not touch the princess by accident, but she gestured her to step back, as her nose had come dangerously close to Ivar, who remained still, unaware of what could hit him. "I must apologise, the weather gets to her, thunder, it stirs something inside her"

Ragnar jugged his mead and grinned. "They will be great together"

The eyes lingering on Ivar, Rùna opened her mouth. "Of course we will. Well then, husband, shall we go outside, as I am sure you will enjoy the walk, so I will be delighted to watch the stars" A hateful grin hushed over her lips, but it vanished, when Ivar came closer once more, so close the warmth of his breath brushed against her skin. A picture formed before her eyes, blurry at first, but it grew brighter and clearer, the longer she looked at him.