Our Future

Turning her head away from the kiss, she rested it on her arm. "I cannot marry you"

"Why?"

"I have seen the future, mine and yours, our paths cross many times, but never will I be your wife"

Ivar leant over her, so close his nose brushed over hers. "Then tell me the future you have seen, and watch me change it"

Biting her lip, Rùna rolled on her back, feeling the dried mud grow brittle and fall off. "I have seen you, a great warrior, a king. You will lead battles, and win wars. You will have many sons and a queen by your side that will be worthy of your love, and one day, you will charge onto the battlefield, you will fight and win the war, and that day walk into Valhalla and sit with Odin, who had blessed you a long time ago"

"Why can I not have you as my wife with me?"

Rùna's fingers brushed over Ivar's cheek, dragged over his neck to his chest and rested upon his heart. "I could never bare you a son, and-"

"Then I do not want a son. Let our daughters become shield maidens and have them fight in battle with us"

A tear ran down Rùna's face that Ivar brushed away with a soft kiss. "How can I make you understand, if you are as stubborn as your father?"

"You can't. I have tried" Hvitserk stepped onto the carriage, placed the weapons at the end of it and gathered all their clothes. "It is time to go, are you two done?" Still wet from the long swim he had to escape from hearing the two of them fall in love while he remained alone, he removed the branches from the carriage and guided it back on the road.