Chapter 1: First meeting

I DO NOT OWN SPIRIT RIDING FREE only my original characters inserted in the story.

3rd person POV

Lucky was sitting with her dad Jim Prescott and her aunt Cora Prescott on the sofa-benches. Lucky was looking at a picture of her and four other unkown girls next to her. "Missing your friends?" Jim questioned as he saw his daughter's saddened state.

"Today is Emma's birthday! I bet they're all at her party right now, eating cake and laughing.." Lucky trailed off.
Cora piped up "And spilling their food and climbing on the furniture and snorting crumbs out of their noses—."

"I know! I'm missing everything!" Lucky interrupted, looking out the window onto the frontier. "But we're doing something even better." Jim said with passion, making Lucky glance at him with an unconvinced look. "We're having.. an adventure." Jim exaggerated his statement making Lucky smile.
This father-daughter moment was interrupted by the train's whistle blowing. Lucky's eyes lit up "The whistle! That means we must be passing by something exciting!" "Or dangerous." Jim responded. "Can I go out and see?!" Lucky said with excitement in her voice.

"Sure."
"No"
Jim and Cora said at the same time.
"A train is no place for a young lady to go gallivanting about" Cora said with sass.

"Aunt Cora!" Lucky dragged out the a in Cora.

"Ah, why not let the girl explore a little?" Said Jim trying to convince Cora to let Lucky explore

"I didn't move to the middle of nowhere with you to watch my niece turn into some ragamuffin." Cora complained

"We aren't in the city anymore, Cora. Lucky's gonna have to get used to frontier living. We all are. And I know she can handle a little freedom without bringing disgrace to our family name. Right, Lucky?" He turned to the spot Lucky was sitting, little did they know she ran off while they were bickering. "Lucky?"

Meanwhile with Lucky

Lucky's POV

I went to the back of the train to see a storage room of sorts. I struggle to get to the other side and eventually open the door and support myself with the doorframe. I look up to see the back of a male, taller than me by a bit.
His hair flowed with the wind gracefully. He turned around and I gazed into his soft green eyes. "Well hello." The mystery boy said. I snap out of my fantasy world and reply "Hello! What're you doing out here?" "Watching the herd, my horse wanted to run for a bit. To stretch her legs." He replied quickly. I stood beside him and looked at the herd racing the train. One horse caught my eye.

 One horse caught my eye

"Majestic.." I whispered. The boy beside me chuckled and I looked at him. "My name is Sammy, but you can call me Sam if you want." He said and put his hand out. 'So the mystery boy has a name.' I thought to myself. "I'm Lucky! Nice to meet you, Sam" I shook his hand.

Sam's POV

I looked at the girl infront of me. 'Lucky.. hmm?' I let go of her hand and I hear footsteps. "Hello? Sam?" A familiar voice rang through my ears. "Yeah dad?" I replied.