Chapter 13: Prophecy

Edith keeps her eyes on the ground, trying her damndest to remain as calm as possible. It's not easy with the sharp pain cutting through her chest and the sting of the small stab wound on her stomach that she's damn lucky didn't cut deep enough to hurt her baby. She and Colin can both feel Kylen's eyes on them and time seems to hold no meaning in the silence of the empty compound.

Meanwhile Colin's eyes scan over the area, trying to see if there are any possible ways that they might be able to escape, but with a Cogency Elite puppy-guarding them, it'd probably be pointless to try anything.

Even though Edith also wants to find a way out of this mess, her mind is incapable of thinking about anything but the fact that The Director apparently wants her baby. She can't even begin to guess why, but the thought alone is what terrifies her more than anything else in this moment. More than the watchful gaze of Kylen staring at her and Colin from across the room.

There's no part of Edith's mind that is able to come up with a reason for The Director's actions. Her baby is hers. Therefore, it's special to her. But she doesn't even know this 'Anneliese Corbin' person, and that goes both ways. There's nothing special about Edith aside from being some weird kind of SRL, but she doubts that has anything to do with whatever The Director is after.

"I'm sorry for Jane. I get that she's upset about her punishment, but the reason for it wasn't because of you. She failed to follow orders and suffered the consequences, but she's always been too prideful to admit when something is her fault. Always needs someone or something to blame," Kylen speaks, causing Edith and Colin to jump a bit as their voice breaks the eerie silence.

Colin and Edith turn their attention to them, seeing as they start slowly making their way over. Colin glares at them. "We don't need your pity excuses for her, so save it. What I want to know is what the hell's going on and why Edith is suddenly mixed up in this mess," he demands.

They slowly nod and stop in front of the two, glancing between them. "She's been involved from the start, however the original intention was to kill her. But when The Director found out about the child, she for some reason changed her mind. But before you ask, no. I don't know why. Whatever reason she has, it seems she prefers to keep it to herself," Kylen says, looking over at Edith.

She says nothing and keeps her eyes spitefully directed away from them and on the floor, trying to focus on breathing and not the pain in her chest. Colin deepens his glare on the Hex, trying to piece together what's really going on. "Why was the original intention to kill her? She's done nothing wrong," he states.

Kylen sighs and slowly nods, turning their eyes downward for a moment and when they bring them back up, they're directed at Colin. "You should know. From what I've gathered, you once played a part in trying to stop the prophecy from happening, just as we are doing," they say, which gets Edith to slightly lift her head and glance at them.

"Prophecy? What kind of fantasy bullshit is this?" she questions.

Colin tenses a bit and slightly leans back in the chair, his already glaring eyes narrow a bit more. He grits his teeth and shakes his head. "The prophecy? Can none of you see that it's all bullshit? It's nothing but lies from—"

"Maybe it was, once upon a time," they cut him off. "But given the fact that we just recently received word from Sarabeth Blackwell of the Dev'al Ordon that a man from Utopia arrived in the town of New Cresthill, we have pretty good reason to believe it's a bit more than 'just bullshit'," Kylen states.

Edith looks between them both, feeling the confusion and frustration at not knowing what's going on is really irking her. "What prophecy? What are you talking about?" she asks.