Chapter 22: Fulminare

Giovanni gives the signal, a brief second of warning before she darts to duck behind the next stack of rusted metal crates. The Wrightendell ISC shipyard seems to be a bit bigger than the Tratend one, which not only means more ground to cover, but more Imperium officers on patrol.

Cree takes Reela's hand and waits for the next soldier to pass before sprinting over to the nearest cover, a few crates away from Giovanni, who doesn't stop to wait for them.

Regan tries to keep his focus in the moment as he follows, ducking behind a closer crate. He doesn't think he'd be able to make it further without getting caught, so he stays down a bit longer, even as Cree and Reela move again.

He takes a few deep breaths, trying to calm himself but feeling his head growing dizzy as the fear starts to set in. His stomach ties up in knots and his deep breaths become weak hyperventilating, but he covers his mouth to silence himself.

Cree helps Reela take cover before a soldier turns and looks away to start talking to another officer, and he hurries her to get to the next crate.

He went to follow, but he noticed that Regan has yet to catch up. He turns around to look over his shoulder, seeing Regan trembling and pressed against the crate he just got to, breathing heavily with his eyes closed.

He mentally curses and keeps his head down, waiting for the next soldier to pass before whispering, "Regan, come on. You can do this."

Regan opens his eyes and looks over to see his glare that holds a hint of worry. Seems he's still holding onto some of his anger from earlier, but Regan is far too out of it right now to pay it much mind.

He bites his lip and slightly shakes his head, fearing that the moment he opens his mouth he'll get himself caught. He shifts to get ready to rush to the next crate, wanting to get this over with so he can breathe again once it's safe.

He bites his tongue and runs to the next safe spot, and seeing him move again gets Cree to do the same, also hurrying ahead a few crates.

Regan darts forward, fretting the distance between the next safe points. It's more open the further away they get from the ship, making it harder to be careful.

Cree crosses the farther distance easily, ducking for cover on the other side.

Regan takes a deep breath to brace himself before he just goes for it, when that infuriating whisper returns.

"I could make this easier. Shadows and darkness conceal each step."

The sudden voice amidst the already fragile state of Regan's anxiety causes him to audibly gasp, a bit too loudly and he trips halfway between where he was and where Cree is hiding.

Cree looks ahead to see that Reela and Giovanni have made it out of the shipyard and are waiting for them outside the fence. He then glances back over his shoulder and sees Regan collapsed in the open, holding his head.

"Hey!" one soldier calls out.

Regan pulls himself back to the moment and turns around to see an armed officer coming his way. He's been caught.

"I can help. It would be so easy to steal that knife on his belt and slit his throat."

He ignores the voice and tries to turn to run, but the soldier grabs his arm and pulls him back.

"Hold it! You're not going anywhere!" he barks.

Regan turns back to face him and fights with everything he has to keep the Dark from taking control. And in that moment, the soldier takes a second to look over his face. His eyes widen.