Chapter 20: Enemy of My Enemy

Regan walks with his full focus on the road ahead. The sun has already gone down, and they've been walking all day. Cree advised them to take the back ways. Maybe he's being paranoid, but it's kept them alive so far, so Regan provided no protest.

He himself has been rather jumpy lately, no doubt thanks to his anxiety being worse than it has been for about five decades. Losing Romeow is hitting him hard both emotionally and physically. He hadn't realized how many modifications he gave the cat to help with a handful of Regan's personal and medical issues, but so long as he keeps his attention on the task ahead, he should be able to shut those problems out.

Cree walks behind him, holding on tight to Reela, who has her tiny arms wrapped around his neck and her head rested on his shoulder while she sleeps. Cree minds her, but his main focus is on Regan, and for more than just his new coat. When he saw it, he admittedly had to hide his swoon. Why has Regan never worn a trench coat before? Maybe then it wouldn't have taken almost dying on a fantasy continent to make him fall in love with the ponce.

But that's not what has his primary attention. He's noticed how Regan has seemed off all day. Not just like he was when he realized Aramora was destroyed and that Romeow is dead, but he just hasn't been acting like himself. When he came back and told them about what he had learned and their next step, Cree asked him how he was feeling and Regan just brushed him aside, telling them to hurry and get ready.

He wouldn't go as far as to say Regan's been entirely 'cold' to him, but he's definitely more reserved than usual. And for Regan, who's generally a pretty open person, this is a cause for concern.

But he doesn't want to pry if he doesn't want to talk about it. He just makes a mental note to keep an eye on Regan. Well, more than usual.

The bottom of his coat stirs up snow and dust across the ground as Regan marches forward, seeing the road that leads outside the city limits of Tratend catch up to them. The tall buildings reach an end, and beyond the concrete forest is a real forest. Off from the road is a grove that looks like it could be missed at first glance, so he decides that seems as good a meeting place as any.

He signals for Cree to follow and show him that they're stepping off from the road. Cree nods, but Regan resumes walking forward before he can see it. Cree hoists Reela up to secure his hold before hurrying to catch up with Regan.

"Hey, why don't you take Reela and hang back until we know this isn't some kinda trap. I can make sure it's safe, first."

"I'm not helpless, Tyrell. I'll be fine," Regan states.

Cree halts his walking and watches Regan continue making his way to the grove without another word. He sighs and nods to himself, staying where he is and waiting for Regan to reach the small hidden spot.

Regan stands in the grove with his hands in the pockets of his coat, anxiously tapping his foot. He hopes this man, Lucian, gets here soon. This is the best lead they have and if it falls flat, then they've made no progress.

He waits for a few minutes, when he hears footsteps approaching from the forest and he swiftly turns to see someone in a dark jacket and hood approaching.

"Regan Angevin?" the man asks.

Regan nods. "Lucian, I presume?"

Lucian nods and stops at the edge of the grove. He looks around apprehensively before looking at Regan again.

"Did you come alone?"

"You didn't specify to. I'm here with my friend and a child. What about you?" Regan eyes him with suspicion.

Lucian nods and holds up his hand. "I've got someone on watch. Now, you're looking for Edith Stewart and Colin Lee, correct?"

"Yes. Do you know where they are?" Regan asks.