His Ways

Cover by the lovely @alphette_  

Trigger warning

   "Good morning, Miss," the maid chirped, rolling a trolly cart of breakfast into my room. It was the same one who had struggled to do my hair the night prior and I had learned her name was Eloise. I groaned in response, forcing myself to sit up in bed as Eloise opened the curtains. "Better wake up quickly, Miss. You've got a big day ahead of you," she hurried to my side to get my tea ready.

   "Great," I rubbed the sleepiness from my eyes. The ball last night had been great fun, especially after the fire whiskey. I'd stayed up quite late enjoying myself, even far after the Dark Lord had departed. Ruth and I had spent a good portion of the night talking, ignoring the likes of Matilda, Fiona, and Ronnie. "What's in store for today, Eloise?"

   "Your mother has decided it is time to work on your public image," Eloise said. "Later today, you are to visit orphanages that are funded by the Dark Lord, with gifts and provide donations."

   "Hmm," that sounded quite nice actually. It would be nice to give back, especially to children even if it was for my public image. "Give word to Ruth, I want her to accompany me."

   "Yes, Miss," Eloise nodded before continuing. "Word arrived from the Dark Lord, he has invited you and your father to have dinner with him this evening."

   I smiled, "Oh my, that's wonderful news." It warmed my heart to think Tom wanted to develop a relationship with Father. It warmed my heart even more knowing he did not invite Mother.

   Eloise smiled and carefully picked up the tray from the trolly and placed it onto my lap. I took all but one look at it and I froze. My stomach grew sick. Anxiousness overtook me. Any confidence I'd gained from the previous night took a large blow. Looking down at my breakfast, consisting of one egg, sugarless tea, and exactly one cup of blueberries, I wanted to scream. "Is everything alright, Miss?" Eloise inspected me with concern.

   "She said she wouldn't do this anymore," I could feel the tears rushing up into my eyes but I forced them down. She'd portioned my food, something she had not done in a very long time. This was revenge for last night, no doubt. For defying her and taking off the diadem, challenging her. Well, challenge accepted Mother. Out of respect for her being my mother, there was a lot I could put up with when it came to her, but I would not stand for this. Not anymore. If she could not respect me, I would not respect her. "Bring me a larger breakfast," I told the maid. "Waffles and pastries and muffins and loaves of bread and tea with spoonfuls of sugar."

   Eloise's concern only grew, "Oh, er, alright." She watched me get out of bed and storm out of the room with a burning fury.

   "I'll be in the garden!" I shouted behind me as I headed for the room of portraits. She'd portioned my food. She'd actually portioned my food! Merlin, the woman knew exactly how to get under my skin. But if Mother wanted to sink this low then so would I.

~~~

   It was a beautiful winter morning. The sun was out shining bright, glistening against the fallen snow as birds chirped and sang to each other. The servers had set up a lovely table for me outside near Mother's roses, a table filled with the sweetest and biggest pastries. I moaned in pleasure, taking a massive bite out of a strawberry cream puff as I basked in the morning sunlight. With it being winter, it was a little chilly out, but the source of heat I had created managed to keep me warm enough while I enjoyed my breakfast.

   "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?!" Mother screamed, rushing towards me through the garden. I looked at her, at her horrified state as I took another large, unladylike bite out of the puff. "My roses!" she exclaimed. She frantically fumbled for her wand and cast a spell to put out the fire that had spread onto her rose bush. It was not my intention to burn her roses, the fire had just gotten out of control and spread, although... I hadn't really made an effort to make sure the fire wouldn't reach her roses either. Once the flames on her flowers were gone, she witnessed the source of the fire and screamed again. "Is that what I think it is?!"