His Permission

I watched from the unfamiliar foyer as my things were apparated into the stone courtyard and carried in by one of the Dark Lord's many servants. When I had left home to go to the shops with Mother, I wish I had known I would not be returning. At least then I would have been able to pack what I needed, but the decision was left up to Betsy and Mother. Although I trusted Betsy with packing the necessities and everything I actually wanted during my stay with the Dark Lord, I had a feeling Mother had been more than happy to slip a few extra inappropriate items into my bags.

I had asked for Betsy to accompany me on my stay, but Mother and Father were quick to decline my request. I just wanted someone familiar, someone I could trust alongside me during this time as a source of comfort. However, aside from the serving staff, I was left completely alone with the Dark Lord, which scared me to the core. He'd already been so unpredictable, so hands-on with his actions as he demonstrated his power over me, I was afraid what he would now that we were alone.

I knew Father and Grandfather were here most days for meetings, but those only lasted a few hours. I knew Mother would visit me when she could to sort out the final details about the wedding, but maybe only twice. What about all the time in between those visits? What about the long nights that were to come? And how many? Who knew how long this imprisonment would last.

The air was quick to turn icy as the Dark Lord approached me from behind, but I kept my back to him, not wanting him to see the sheer display of nervousness across my face. He might have already known if he'd been invading my thoughts, but I couldn't tell with him. I couldn't tell when he was inside my head. So I had no idea of knowing if he knew about how there was a part of me that wished I had sipped from the tea. I had no idea of knowing if he knew I did not want to marry him.

"Follow me," he said. Before I could turn around, his footsteps were already walking away from me. I hurried to catch up and remain caught up. His strides were long and fast like he was in a rush, but the look on his face was cold, colder than usual. He seemed angry, but Merlin knew it would have been idiotic of me to question him about it. It wasn't like I cared anyways.

He led us up the grand staircase and through a maze of long hallways until we reached two white stone doors. I was close to being out of breath when we reached them. I used to think the Rosier Chateau was big, but the Dark Lord's estate had proven me wrong. I guessed a house this large was suitable for the most powerful man in the world. I didn't know how I'd ever get used to living here after our marriage.

   Grasping the golden handles with a tight hold, the Dark Lord pushed the doors open to reveal a large bedroom with feminine Victorian style furniture. Why the Dark Lord had such a girly room, I had no idea. Maybe this was where he put all the woman he slept with. Oh dear Merlin, was this where he slept with them?

   "No, this is your bedroom," he said, a sliver of a smile playing at his lips after having read my thoughts.

   My bedroom? I wanted to hang my head down in shame and embarrassment after those thoughts. Still, it was my head and he didn't have any business in there in the first place. I could think what I wanted to think and I didn't care if it offended him. I was sure he'd encountered worse.

   "You mean... I won't be sleeping with you?" I questioned, heat rising to my cheeks. I had figured since I was his fiancé and soon to be wife I would be sharing a bed along side him, not that I wanted to.

   The amusement on his face only grew, this time it reached his eyes. "Depends on what you mean by sleeping."

   I. Wanted. To. Die.

   I couldn't handle the pain of this agonizing, emotionally frustrating embarrassment. It was killing me.

   "Sleep," I said, knowing the redness on my face was starting to inch it's way down my neck and towards my chest. Merlin, I would soon begin to resemble a tomato if this conversation didn't end. "As in the state your body and mind enter at night for a few hours when you close your eyes and the nervous system becomes less active and your muscles relax and your consciousness is practically suspended and-"

   "I get it," he said, clearly enjoying the way I was squirming underneath the topic of the conversation. "You'll sleep in here. I don't share my bed with anyone."

   "Not even the women you sleep with?" Dear Merlin what was wrong with me?! No wonder Mother always shut me up before I got a chance to speak. I appeared to be missing a filter. However, the Dark Lord did not seem to mind the question. He found it rather amusing by the look on his face.

   "When I sleep with a woman it is rarely ever in a bed," he answered, leaving me beyond confused. However, I did not question him further. This conversation had to end.

   I walked further into the room, carefully inspecting the furniture and sheets. It all looked untouched, fresh and brand new. I figured he had this room assembled for me. Although it was much larger than my bedroom back home, I still preferred my room and decided once I was actually married I would do everything to make it resemble my old room.

   "Someone will bring your bags up and escort you down to dinner when it is time," the Dark Lord said, turning his back to leave.

   "Is there a map of this house?" I questioned before he could walk away.

   He paused and put a hand on the door handle. "The best way to learn the inner workings of this house is to get lost in them," he pulled the door closed behind him as he left.

   I took that as his permission to explore the house. However, I would save that activity  for later. After the eventful day I had experienced, I decided a quick nap would be the best thing for me.

   Yawning, I peeled back the heavy duvet from the bed to find a folded note placed near my pillow. A note addressed to me.