His Gift

It had been a week since I had last seen Tom and since our sinful night together. Mother had continued with the wedding preparations, only speaking to me when absolutely necessary. She was still angry about the recent arguments that had transpired between us, but she would not allow pettiness to get in the way of planning the grandest wedding the Wizarding World had ever seen. So, I went along with her to every appointment and every reservation, witnessing her take great pride in her work, and even morphing into a demon when she was denied something. There was still uneasiness in the air that surrounded us, but we had put our differences aside for this event. 

   Blue had grown an alarming amount within a very short time span. By the time of the wedding, she would likely be full grown. I decided I would have her sit front row near the alter. Smiling, I watched her rip apart another pair of shoes she had found somewhere in the house before returning my gaze to my tea. Father sat across from me, his eyes fixated on an article about rising property prices in the Daily Prophet while his coffee cup sat disregarded in his other hand.

   "It's going to crash anytime now," he murmured to himself. 

   I tried to focus my attention on Blue, on the upcoming wedding, on the number of things that had to get done before the big day but all I could think about was Tom. The morning after our night together I had felt like I was glowing, like I was walking on a stream of rainbows and sunshine. But since that day, my light had continued to dim every day I spent apart from him. I missed him, I longed for him, to be with him and to touch him. Busying myself with wedding preparations had only helped so much, but thoughts of him infiltrated my mind endlessly. I needed to see him. There were but two short weeks left until the wedding, but I could not wait that long. I needed him sooner. 

   Sighing, I took a large bite out of my raspberry scone, a steady stream of crumbs falling onto my new dress which I quickly brushed off. I had ordered a whole new wardrobe in the past few days of tighter, figure-hugging dresses. There was no real reason for my change of style, only that I'd felt like I'd outgrown my old dresses. They were so youthful, so ditsy. I wanted something more mature and elegant, something fitting of the title of the Dark Lord's fiance. 

   "What's the matter?" Father asked, his eyes glancing up at me for a second before returning to his paper. I shook my head in response, not wanting to answer him. I wouldn't tell him I missed Tom, not since the look he had given me when I had returned home in the early hours of the morning after my night with Tom. He had not said a word when he saw me return in my low-cut gown and disheveled hair, but he did not have to. His eyes had spoken a thousand words. The image still haunted me.

   Blue suddenly growled at the shoe before pouncing on it and tearing it to shreds with her sharp puppy teeth. Adorable. Father gave her an uneasy side-eye before flipping to the next page of his paper. An advertisement suddenly caught my eye. In big bold lettering, there was a large section of the paper taken out to advertise an art showing of rare pieces. An idea conjured in my mind as I recalled the boring basilisk portrait in Tom's office.

   "Father... is there by any chance a budget on this wedding?" I said casually sipping from my tea. 

   "Your Mother doesn't seem to think so," Father sighed. "But I guess no, there isn't. Why?" His eyes flashed to me. 

   I shrugged. "Oh, no reason."

   Father did not fall for my answer. He knew me too well. "What are you planning on buying?"

   "Just a gift," I said.

   "A gift?"

   "Alright, a wedding gift."