Chapter 43

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

- Unknown

Four POV

All initiatives, Dauntless born and transfers, were seated in a dark hallway, waiting patiently to learn what stage two meant and casually making small talks with each other. I was in charge of the simulation practice, and I had scanned the chart of all the names of the initiatives that had made it through stage one and were now about to enter stage two.

As I opened the door, everyone turned their heads towards me with questionable looks, no sense of idea of what to expect. I scanned the crowd, and my eyes lingered a little too long on Tris before I called on Lynn. One by one I would call their names and as they left, they all seemed shocked up, so I told them to go rest. Eventually it was Tris's turn and I lead her inside the room that looked similar to the aptitude test room.

"Take a seat

"Take a seat." I said as I started working on the machine.

"What's this?" She asked a bit worriedly as she sat down in the chair.

"It's a form of simulation."

"What kind of simulation?"

"Ever heard of the phrase "face your fears"? We're taking that literally. The simulation will teach you how to control your emotions in the midst of a frightening situation."

"Have you ever administrated the aptitude tests?"

"No. I avoid the Stiffs as much as possible, and they run it."

"Why do you avoid them?"

"Do you ask me because you think I'll actually answer?" I started to get annoyed with her constant questions. I didn't want her to know who I really was, that was something I liked to keep private, only a few knew. At Dauntless, I was simply known as Four.

"Why do you say vague things if you don't want to be asked about them?" I didn't answer her, just walked of to retrieve a large syringe with a long needle. Inside the syringe was a tinted orange looking liquid.

"An injection?"

"We use a more advanced version of the simulation here, this is a different serum." I walked over towards her, turned her arm over, eased the tip into her arm, and pushed the liquid in.

"The serum will go into effect in sixty seconds. This is different from the aptitude test. It induces a hallucination and brain activity is transmitted which will simulate an image. I will see and monitor it, and I will forward the recording to the Dauntless administrators. You will stay in the hallucination until you calm down, lower your heart rate and control your breathing." Tris had already dozed off when I was done explaining the procedure. I leaned over her and told her to be brave, anxious to see what her fears might be.