Chapter 45

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die."

-       Unknown

Candice POV

The walk to Amity was not easy, I had stopped multiple times due to shortness of breath and aching legs and back. Fortunately, I hadn't run in to any trouble, the factionless were nowhere to be seen and it made me suspicious. I had a feeling the factionless were planning something, but I had no idea what it was. At that moment, all I cared about was for me to get to Amity safely.

When I arrived, members of Amity were already up and working. As I walked along the grassy fields up to their main building where I knew Johanna Reyes, their representative, had her office, people either starred or ignored my presence. When I neared the building, a figure appeared and walked towards me, it was Johanna.

"Welcome, Candice Heart

"Welcome, Candice Heart. What brings you all the way from Dauntless?"

"You know who I am?"

"I read the papers. And I knew your mother." I just nodded. She gestured for me to follow her inside, and we walked into her office.

"Sit down, you must be tired." I thanked her for her kindness and sat down in a cane-chair that I surprisingly found very comfortable. Johanna sat down in a chair behind her desk.

"Now tell me, what does a Dauntless leader doing at Amity all alone?"

"I don't know if or how much you know about Jeanine's desire to take over the city. She's been planning this for a while and together with Max, she planned to use Dauntless to overthrow Abnegation and claim the position as sole ruler."

"That doesn't answer my question as to why you're here."

"I came to warn you that they will come for Amity next. There is no secret that you hide Divergents here, and Jeanine want's them dead. I'm one of them therefor I'm a threat to her. My only hope is to lay low here until it's safe for me to go back to the city."

"If Jeanine's planning to come here, why do you think you'll be safe here?"

"Because you will make sure of that. As you said, you knew my mother, she wouldn't want me to get hurt."

"You know fully well that Amity distance themselves from violence. We will not choose sides in this. I will let you stay here for the sake of your unborn baby, but on one condition."

"And what is that?"

"That you don' talk about what goes on in the city. In Amity, we live peacefully unaware of what goes on over there, we live our lives in harmony. Yes, I know a thing or two, but I don't share my knowledge with the rest of them for their own protection." She was a bit of a hypocrite, but I agreed with her condition. I had no other choice.

"One more thing. You need to hand over your weapons, we don't tolerate any kind of weapons here." I opened my backpack and took out the gun Theresa had packed for me in case I had to protect myself on the way here. I handed over it to Johanna, she could tell I didn't like the idea of being unprotected but it was after all her rules. What she didn't know was that Eric had given me another gun, a smaller one that I had hidden in a holster on my leg, and I had no intentions on giving her that one.