Chapter 2

"The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed."

- Eminem

Candice POV

I woke up to the sound of the alarm clock. Grunting, I rolled out of my bed to stretch my body. I walked into my bathroom and started the shower. I pulled my hair up in a messy bun and stripped out of my clothes. After a ten-minute shower I got dressed in a black and white striped sleeved dress that hugged my body and ended at my mid thighs and then applied some make up, not too much though because I wanted it to look natural. When I was done, I went down to the empty kitchen, Michael had already left for work, so I was all alone, which was for the best. I didn't want to see him anyway. I made some coffee and had a bowl of yoghurt. The newspaper was on the table, and I started scanning it for something interesting, but it was only the usual stuff, but one thing caught my attention.

Reliable sources claims that City council leader and the leader of Abnegation Marcus Eaton abused his own son, Tobias, and that's why he chose to transfer from Abnegation to Dauntless.

I knew Tobias before he transferred. I knew it was true, he told me everything. Of course, it took me some time to get it out of him but after some persuasiveness, he told me. I even told him about my father, and that's when we became friends. He became the brother I never had, and we help each other through our bad times. When he transferred, I felt like I had lost my other half. I was all alone again, and I kept missing him everywhere I went. Don't get me wrong, it was never any romance between us, it was just nice to have someone to talk to and laugh with.

After reading the paper and finishing my breakfast I put on my jacket and left the house. I never took the bus because I rather walk, gave me time to think and relax before school. When I arrived at school, a lot of student had already lined up outside, ready for what the test would tell them. I got in the line with the other Candors and started to fiddle with my fingers when my nerves started to kick in. I usually never get nervous but today was different. Today was the day I was going to find out where I belonged. Suddenly someone bumped into my shoulder. I looked to the side and saw the person I least wanted to see, Zack. Candors biggest jerk and a total man whore. I tried to ignore it because I knew he only did it to get a reaction out of me, but I wasn't that lucky.

"What's wrong Candice, not in the mood for a little fun?" I stayed quiet knowing that everyone had turned their attentions towards us.

"You know, I don't like it when you're so silent. Where is the feisty one that we all know so well? That girl can really turn a guy on."

"Go to hell, Zack! No one cares what turns you on. You are just a pathetic jerk desperate for attention. You might think you are all almighty and everyone likes you, but you are a man whore who thinks every girl wants to be with you, but know what? Those girls are just as pathetic as you are. Go jerk of or something and leave me the hell alone." Zack smirked and barked a laugh.

"My, my. Candice Heart, everyone. Has always something witty to say. Such a naughty girl. Were your mother just as naughty as you or..." He didn't get to finish his sentence before I punched him in the face and broke his nose.

"Don't you ever speak about my mother, you son of a bitch! I don't care what you say about me but don't dare say another word about my mother, or your nose will not be the only thing that will be broken."

"You fucking bitch, you broke my nose! Just you wait until I'm done with you, your little slut."

"Takes one to know one, right? You better act fast, tomorrow is choosing day."

"Know what, just scurry along and leave me alone."

"You just wait Heart, this isn't over." Zack said with an angry tone.