19

DISCLAIMER: This post is part of an original work of fiction. It's mine, so no stealing.

~~~

A flash of light and a tinny, artificial shutter sound wakes me from an unusual dreamless sleep.

"Rise and shine, ladies!" says a chipper voice that can only be Jonathon, a few feet away.

"Go away," I grumble, refusing to open my eyes or even move so that I can talk like an actual human- because I'm comfortable.

As it has happened both times before when Emily and I have shared a bed, we've once again made a really lovely tangle of blonde hair and red hair and limbs and blanket- and I'm not ready to undo the knot.

"Not gonna happen," he says, nudging me.

"God, Jonathon," mumbles Emily somewhere near the top of my head, "why the fuck not?"

"Oh, good morning, Gorgeous," I say, tilting my head to look up at Emily, whose eyes are still closed. She's smiling, though, and she looks like an old fashioned angel with a halo made of curly orange hair. "I didn't know you were awake yet."

"How could I sleep through my two favorite idiots talking?" she asks, opening her eyes a slit. "Hey babe."

I give her a peck on the lips, feeling her smile in it. "How'd you sleep?"

"Perfect. You?"

"Same."

"As much as I'd love to stay and set up my camera and watch you two make out, I can't," says Jonathon. "School starts in an hour and a half. Get your asses up and eat something."

"Fine," replies Emily as he walks out, leaving us alone. She stretches her endless legs, untangling them from mine. "Baby?" she says, soft into my ear.

"Mm?" I've closed my eyes again, so unwilling to make an official start to the day.

"You're lying on my arm. Can I have it back?"

"No."

That would require moving.

After a heartbeat, I feel her lips on mine. She begins very slow, but as I adjust to consciousness I involve myself more, placing my hands on either side of her face and lifting my shoulders of the mattress- freeing Emily's arm without noticing.

"Ha," she whispers, breaking the kiss and grinning like she solved a riddle from La Vie Est Belle. "Sucker."

"That's not fair!" I groan, falling back onto the bed.

"All's fair in love and war, Aug," she says, sliding out of the bed. As she lands on the ground and begins walking toward the door, adjusting her clothes, she mumbles, "I hope he has bagels."

~~~

For me, what little breakfast I consume always happens after I've gotten dressed and done my hair. I'm still trying to rub sand, cobwebs, and sleep out of my eyes as I step out into the hall, fully dressed and with my hair hanging free and loose around my shoulders.

From just across the hall, the small downstairs bathroom, the sounds of a running shower and two male voices greet my ears. At first, it confuses me- why would they both-? But, Oh, I remember, shrugging. Jonathon must be helping Kyle with his shower.

When I wander into the big kitchen, Emily acknowledges me with a sigh as she stares into the wide-open fridge.

"Riddle me this, Aug-" she begins, motioning to the small smorgasbord resting on the gleaming marble counter- "why would a family have cream cheese, but no bagels to eat it on?"