17

Disclaimer: This is part of an original work of fiction. It belongs to me, and as I've put quite a lot of sweat, blood, and tears into it, I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't steal it.

Thanks. Enjoy.

~~~

The next day is the game. Not just any game, mind you, it is the most important game of the season. Or, I guess I should say, the post-season.

See, as Emily and Jonathon explained to me- before we got all caught up in my wonderful mess of a birthday- once a team makes it into the post-season, they must win their games to go on playing. One loss, and the team's done.

That's why, as we walk to school, Emily is wound up. I can tell- though she tries to hide it behind her usual excited chatter- she's worried. She wants to win. I want her to win. Hell, the entire school wants her to win.

When we get to the student parking lot, we run into a montage of sorts: the entire team is gearing up for what may be the pivotal point of this year's run.

As usual, Jonathon and Kyle are arriving together. Jonathon is helping Kyle out of the truck. They're joking around, rolling their eyes and pretending to be tough. They don't really need to pretend, but they do anyway.

Michael, Dan, and Chris are all talking to a group of underclassmen girls. The group includes both Michael's and Dan's girlfriends, surrounded by their friends. They are joking around and harmlessly flirting, probably talking up the big game.

Aiden and Izzie are walking hand in hand toward the school. They aren't speaking- though I didn't expect them to be. But every now and then, he turns his head to face her, only to find that she was looking at him the whole time.

Rusty and Sellers are with the Matthew's twins. Rusty has his arms wrapped around Georgia from behind. She's smiling up at him like he's the most perfect thing she's ever seen- like she's quite sure he could move the planet if he had a large enough lever. Paris is sitting on the front bumper of Sellers' car, both hands in his. I forgot he could smile like that at all- like there's something he loves more in the world than himself.

It occurs to me for the first time in a long time that Sellers isn't all bad. Sure, he's an ass, but a person who can love another like he loves Paris- there's no way that he's as evil as his hatred toward Emily makes him look.

As we pass each group of our friends and their friends and partners, Emily waves to each one. Everyone waves back- Kyle, who almost loses balance after taking a hand off his crutch; Chris, who brightens like a light bulb and turns away from his underclassmen fangirls; Aiden and Izzie, who barely pull their eyes away from each other; and Rusty, who waves at us even though it makes Georgia purse her lips at him.

We don't stop to talk to anyone. We just continue our steady conversation, ending under the tree where we usually eat lunch. Today, like every game day, she won't join me here because of the team's lunch. We sit on the grass, and I soak in the fact that- though we can't be as public as the other couples in the team, or even the school- this beautiful, talented, smiling girl sitting in front of me is my girlfriend. No one else's. Just mine.

~~~

Swoosh. Thunk.

Wind-up. Release. Grunt.

Swoosh. Thunk.

Without watching her, I know exactly what Emily looks like right now. She has that wrinkle across her forehead that means she's working hard. She's sweating into her eyes, but she doesn't care. Her long bangs- the part that don't quite reach into her ponytail- are sticking to the side of her face. Her elbows are dry. Her uniform is sticking to her back with sweat.