9

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. Mine, actually. So don't steal it. Thanks. Enjoy.

~~~

"We are going to be so late."

I try to ignore Emily, but it's kind of hard as she's part of the reason that statement is really very true.

It's Tuesday, the day of the dreaded baseball team party. I'm nervous.  I lay awake all last night thinking of the various household items I could employ to bludgeon Sellers if anything got serious, but Emily doesn't have to know either of these things.

"Well, if you weren't right in the way," I start, motioning to how she's sitting on the counter.

My parents are absolutely all right with me going to the party- if not incredibly surprised that I even appeared to want to go- but I have to do the dishes before I leave, and that includes putting them away. I really have no problem with this, except my lovely girlfriend is sitting right in front of the door to the cabinet that holds cups and bowls.

"Fine," she says, hopping off the counter. She walks over to check her reflection in the front of the microwave.

I don't know why she's checking again- she's not dressed particularly nicely, just in a shirt from a baseball camp long past, a pair of athletic shorts and sneakers. Her hair is messy, but not terribly. She just looks comfortable.

"You look beautiful," I say as I place the final cup in its home.

"Oh, I know," she smirks, turning to face me. "Ready, slowpoke?"

I roll my eyes. "Yeah. Gimme just a second."

I walk to the hall and pick up my messenger bag, which holds a book and an unfinished bottle of tea from earlier today- emergency party supplies, as I think of them. Though I doubt the party could possibly get boring what with Emily and the team there, I just can't be sure.

"So? How far away is Kyle's house?" asks Emily as we step out my front door after waving goodbye to my mother who doesn't look up from her Better Homes and Gardens magazine to see this small gesture of farewell.

I pull a face, trying to remember. I've been walking everywhere here since I was eleven or so and started babysitting, so I pretty much know where all of the main families in town live.

"I'd say he lives about a mile away?"

Actually, as we soon found out, it's more like a mile and a half. We're both really glad that we're wearing sneakers- I don't want to imagine walking this in anything less than shoes that are up to the task.

"Ready for your first party, loser?" Emily grins and pulls on one of my ears as we approach the front door. "Even if we're late."

She can't believe that I've never gone to a party- not even a birthday party- since I've been in high school. I can't believe that she can't believe it- I brew tea for fun. For some strange reason, I really don't think that that smacks of 'party animal'.

"Yeah, yeah," I say as I ring the doorbell.

After a moment, Kyle opens the door, and smiles at us.

"Hey guys. Come on in," he says as he motions inside the door.

"Are we the last ones here?" Emily asks. I try not to shoot her a rude look.

"Yeah, you are, but it's cool," says Kyle.

Emily looks at me and smiles at me as if to say 'I told you so'. I ignore her.  

"Actually, Sellers isn't here yet. He's working tonight, so he'll be here in an hour or two," Kyle continues. I make a mental note to leave before Sellers gets here.